Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Furukawa Rear diff trouble

loader22 · 2024-08-06 07:53

I have a Furukawa fl120-2 loader here. It's an early 90s machine. Went to change the oil in the rear differential and there was a lot of filings coming out along with these 3 pieces of steel. Do they look like the outer shell of a bearing ? Doesn't seem.to be a tooth? Machine was driving fine before I decided to change oil. I think it's a dana axle in it but the badges are missing of the axle but there are numbers stamped on the side. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Replies12
  1. #1loader222024-08-06 09:35

    Just to add further to this. I decided to fill the axle with diesel to try wash it out more. Anyway as I drove around I noticed diesel coming out the front where the drive shaft enters when the pressure comes on. I did notice a bit of oil coming out of there previously and I used to top up every now and then. But the diesel flows well even if I push the shaft up with my hand. I have a video but it would let me load it so instead I have added another picture of where the diesel is coming out.

  2. #2Nige2024-08-06 09:52

    Looks like the read axle is coming out sooner rather than later....... Somehwere there will be a procedure for setting the pinion bearings then one to set the backlash between the pinion & crown wheel.

  3. #3loader222024-08-07 07:59

    I am a bit worried now where I will get parts when I go stripping. Who does parts for Furukawa loaders now? Would parts for an axle be hard got ?

  4. #4Nige2024-08-07 08:20

    Sorry can't help you with that. If those pieces are from a bearing you might be lucky and pick them up from a generic bearing supplier somewhere. Does the axle housing carry any references that might indicate who manufactured it.? I would imagine it wasn't Furukawa. Hopefully someone will pitch in with info/ideas/suggestions.

  5. #5loader222024-08-07 08:27

    T this is the only code stamped on it. It's stamped on both half shafts

  6. #6Nige2024-08-07 08:31

    It means nothing to me or Uncle Google. Hopefully it means something to someone else.

  7. #7Dave Neubert2024-08-08 07:58

    Good luck I worked on a crawler loader and could not find anything

  8. #8loader222024-08-08 17:39

    It seems to have a very similar looking axle to a hitachi lx70 and a komatsu wa120-1. Would all these Japanese companies have shared the same type axle.or bought in the axles from.some company

  9. #9Coaldust2024-08-08 21:15

    Interesting loader. I’ve never noticed or seen a Furukawa before in my corner of the world. Welcome to the HEF, loader22. I see you are posting from Ireland. Tell us a good Irish tale from the Emerald Isle.

  10. #10Cliffy2024-08-09 17:07

    A google search shows a couple of digital parts catalogs online for purchase. I personally would buy one, then cross reference the bearing and seal numbers. As above I would be dong the repair sooner then later as gear sets may be hard to find if damaged.

  11. #11JimInOz2024-08-11 04:17

    Furukawa made very good loaders. The FL120 were reasonably common in their Loader range. Hitachi were supporting some spares,but not sure now.There was a relationship with the 2 companies.Check out the Furukawa FD dozers & Hitachi DX45 dozers. Try TAS SPA in Italy. Check eBay for manuals.

  12. #12JimInOz2025-02-12 18:38

    There's quite a few FURUKAWA Loader manuals on USA eBay now. Seller is WEACO MANUALS. Lots of other manuals too.