Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuse Box 580K – Anyone have details?

Johnhrich ยท 2013-01-27 19:54

My fusebox is a mess, will probably have to start all over. Does anyone have any further details on what wires are attached to the fuse box as indicated in the parts manual (see illustration)? I have the placement of the fuses from the Operators Manual. I also have the service manual but it doesn't have the wiring details around the fuse box specifically. For instance, what are the 4 wires connected to the relay between "13" and "14" - and the spade lug just above the relay. And the 3 spade lugs to the left of the fuse box. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place in the manuals - so some pointers would be helpful. Thanks,

Replies7
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-01-27 20:45

    I would think it's a ground.

  2. #2sheepfoot2013-01-27 21:09

    There are several posts on the 580 K elect on here, the machines had alot of elect issues in the wire connectors/fuse panel area due to heat build up and poor contact. You will find the right side has most of the harness connects (frame close to the rear axle) where the harness hook together also. Most people jump wire's as needed due to the cost of replacement. Is your machine a phase3 with the tee handle shifter on the right hand ?.

  3. #3Johnhrich2013-01-27 23:10

    Yes, it's the series after 20000. About 1990. I may just end up jumping/rewiring as well around the harness, but want to at least go through the connectivity tests. Sheepfoot, you think that all the lug connectors may be grounds?

  4. #4sheepfoot2013-01-28 22:12

    There is four wires that go to the bolt that connects the chassis mag switch to the frame (grounds), there is some spades that go to the top terms on the mag switch (these can go to/from the fuse blocks and other area's. I would take you elect schematic to a print shop and let them blow it up 400%. it will help you to see and read it better. It runs about 3 to 5 bucks and is well worth it. Connects like in your parts page pic's above #21 give alot of problems, these are the type you have to jump around alot on the older K's. A good multi with a tone will help alot also. I take the seat off the machine along with the rh dash so there is enough room to work, seat and base can be heavy without help. Does your machine have a cab or rops, A/C. Most machines have alot of wireing that is not hooked up at all also.

  5. #5Johnhrich2013-01-28 22:38

    Took your advice and got 11"x14"s of the electrical schematics in the service manual. Now I can see how they work together - and the wires to the power relay. Still can't figure the 3 spade ends by the fuse block, but I'll have to test with my multi I guess. thanks for the reply.

  6. #6planecrazzzy2013-02-02 16:06

    Some Fuse locations might be Options that aren't on your machine... Just a thought. Gotta Fly...

  7. #7hookedondiesel2013-02-03 06:44

    My guess would be, these are also grounds. Anything with an end like that is usually a ground, there's another one in your diagram, to the far right near the 4 wires you mentioned. I don't believe their 'live", it would make no sense coming out like that. IMO