I have seen 4 different 5110B's on this Future 99 Corridor job in the last 6 years. The first one I saw was in 2002 and in was fairly new sitting just off of the south bound lane in the area of Hammond Dam. The next two were just to the west of Tioga Junction and finally today i saw another just south of the Turkey Ranch on the north bound side. I can not describe the scope of this job. I saw many stakes with over 100 ft cuts. the equipment i saw to day was a (2) brand new 777F, 5110, 345C, 345B, 330C, (5) A35, A40, D8R, (2) D8N, D6R XL, D6R LGP, 318C LN, 315 Drill Rig, (2) 14G, 420E, various roller, crane....... If you ever have to drive up in this area it is @ 30 mins north of RT80 on 15 North. Well here are some of the pics from today, i dont even think all of the equipment has made it to the job yet so hopefully many more pics to come.....
this next few pics will give you an idea of the cut on the north bound side....
some more equipment up around Frys Turkey Ranch
Man The guy that put them 777F did one heck of a job :notworthy
Then i made my way to the top of the cut somehow, wow
enjoy....
here are some more pic of the other 5110B's that i saw in the Tioga Junction area
That looks to have the makings of a heck of a job.
hi pullpan great pic of my outhouse with the 777fs I edited it out of mine. well parked in front of it
I haven't been up that way in a long time. I used to go to school in Mansfield and I drove past the future corridor 99 job all the time in Blossburg and Covington. Hawbaker did that section. Who is doing this section where you took pics ??? I did see a 5110 up above Mansfield about 6 yrs ago.
What is the object of moving all that material?Ron G
sick thats awesome, any word if more equipment is on the way???
lets hope they don't run into the same problem they did on I-99 up in State College....what a mess with that pyrite Pullpan or PAcattech do you have any idea who is running the pipeline from State College down to Harrisburg? I heard they have quite a bit of impressive equipment on that job too PAcattech which Cleavland Brothers outfit are you out of? I was in the new warehouse they have up in SC a month or two ago and that thing is just jam packed with parts
PJDick & Trumbull is doing the work.. http://www.pjdick.com/tpjwebsite.nsf/web/Home?openDocument
Great pics pullpan, 30 minutes north of 80 on rt 15... how far from Williamsport does this put it? Thanks for sharing:notworthy:notworthy:usa
Jimbruce jobsite is about 15 minutes north of williamsport dirt digger I work out of Turbotville branch and your right our parts distrubution nera SC is pretty impressive building I have a bunch of pictures of us putting trucks together I'll try to post soon I've put nine of them together in the last year or so
Great photos and a nice group of equipment! But you should not have said anything...we'll now be expecting weekly project updates! Keep us posted. - Chris
Is that a union job?
I was about to ask the same question Ron. With fuel prices increasing everyday, we'll be all using horse and buggy for light transport and Ox-carts to move the heavy stuff..........C ya.......Ray
well i am just speculating here...the area that I-99 is going through is a very hilly/mountainous stretch...i am guessing the geography doesn't allow for a tunnel and its unfeasible to go over the mountain because as you can see in Pullpans pics that the mountains up there have very steep faces to them they ran into problems with the I99 project in State College, they did core readings up there and "missed" the pyrite that lay below the surface...once they uncovered the pyrite all hell broke lose on how to take care of it and stalled the project for years...there was, and still is bridges half under construction that haven't been touched...they are now back to work on the project and actually opened some of it...their solution was to cover all the exposed pyrite with a thick black mat...it looks pretty goofy when you drive past it but i guess it gets the job done they had to do this because when pyrite reacts with water it causes an acid that leeches down into the groundwater and runs off into the exceptionally clean streams in the SC region...i don't think i have had a single engineering class at PSU that hasn't mentioned that disaster of a project and how they could have avoided it...but i guess everything is 20/20 in hindsight
I'll have to ask my buddy. He is a union mechanic working on pipelines in the area for Henkel's & McCoy. I know last year, they spent $24 million on John Deere equipment.
Hey cattech, do you know Keith Musgrave ?? He was our salesmen out of the Wilkes-Barre shop. He is now working for Ohio Cat.
the stretch of road they are working on is hell in the winter they sometimes get dumped on with snow and it has many sharp turns going through that valley. From what i can see is that they are going to straighten it out..... i dont know about weekly pics i'm about 2 hrs away but monthly pics i can do that....
does it realy xxxxx matter
Maybe he is trying to hire on there, so it would make a difference to him.
Great pictures. I will be looking foward to more, those 777F's are very sharp.
some new pics from this job they are still doing some E/S work. The road sign said trucks crossing July 1st so hopefully it will kick off then. there are no scratched in those 777F's yet.
Thanks for sharing, is that other rigid frame a 773 or 775? Keep us updated.
773B
Thats one heck of a service truck. Is it a crew cab?
There were definitely a lot of dumb decisions made on that one. I believe the rock was documented and things just didn't surface until after the fact. At the very least, any geologist that knows Central PA should know how to sample properly. As I heard it, Shuster really fast-tracked the project and pushed past the impact studies. Of course, New Enterprise was one of Shuster's big campaign contributors......and was awarded the contract for the work. I'll leave that as pure rumor and speculation, though.
Another set back for this project was just north of the Hammond Dam. They had @ 200 ft fills and they just dumped material over the edge and never compacted their way up. The road ended up sliding and created a 5-10 ft drop in one area of the south bound lane. So someone had to go back in and chew their way into the mountain to avoid it. I believe it is still there. I can imagine that they inspector was fired on that job. Does anyone know if they have made it all the way to New York yet, last i saw they were working on that section.
ill be on that road in two weeks, headed for the family farm. I was on it about two weeks ago and I saw a huge shovel that would usually be seen at a mine. I think they plan on being there for awile.
Great pics, can't wait to see more!!
Update on this project from anyone?
i was up there for Labor Day, not much activity. Looks like E/S work and prep for next year. I think next spring is when a majority of the dirt will be moved. Right now they are working on the over pass for Fry's Turkey Ranch along with the north bound lane from Turkey Ranch north to Buttonwood.
they finally opened the stretch of I99 in the State College area..they secured the pyrite and managed to overcome that huge obstacle...if i get out there any time soon i will take a picture of the "solution"
a little update...i past the site last weekend and those trucks are filthy dirty now, i didn't have my camera so unfortunately theres no pictures to share but they have began cutting and getting a lot of the detention basins put in it looks like...the 5110 is still up in there, i really wish i would have had the camera because wow! that thing is a beast
yes this is a union job trumbull is signed with the operating engineers I worked for them when they did work above mansfield there a good company at that time I ran a d8n with over 32000 hours it ran good but used some oil!
look's like a nice project to be working on.
That i99 job has been a very long job for dang sure. I bet some $$$ has been made on that job. I friend of mine...."Ted Quinn"......is working on that pipeline down in state college. ,He came out of retirement because they could not find qualified operators to run hoe on the steep grades. I know the name of the company starts with an "H" I just cant think of it. You can see the line going up over the hill from I80 milesburg exit. I saw pics of the metzler hoe.....I used them on a wetland job last year and they seem nice to work with. They supplied 2000cy of wood chips for me on that project.I actually got to post pics of that project when I get time.
heres the pipeline project Reuben was talking about...i have a ton more pictures but due to the fact this site won't let me post them from photobucket i am not going to take the time and upload them
Sheehan is the contractor for the pipeline job in pa this is a 50 mile job I had planned to go to this job but I got a call to go to work for precision pipeline in Orange county new york the money is much better over there and the benefits are great! It pays to work union!!!!!
you know what..... you are exactly right!!! As soon as I read that it snapped in my mind.Do any of you guys know Ted Quinn. He has been a pipeline hoe operator for pretty much his whole life.
that a long way from home are they puttin you up?
We bought a 35 ton artic from them. They even delivered it for us.
I was looking through my old pics and I found pics of the first 5110 I saw just north of the rest area before Laweranceville. I think this was sometime in 2002.
nice, you been up there lately pullpan to see the progress?
It is sitting all by itself up near the top of the cut in steam valley. About two miles below the turkey ranch. A few adt's,345's and fuel trucks but most of the equipment is either hidden from view or pulled for winter service.I just came thru there on sunday. Not much happening right now. It has been too cold and snowy.
I was up there a month or so ago like Billonthehill said I think they shut down pretty much for the Winter. I have a friend up there who was speaking to the operator of the 5110. He picked up a rock that weighed in at 55tons with that hoe. I guess he had to roll it up and roll it into the 777F. All of the 777F's have scales in them that how they determined the weight.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense, it's been a pretty cold winter. I'm not sure, but aren't the scales pretty much standard in the F-series trucks?
I was up there in Nov. with two of my friends taking pics and the were changing out the undercarriage on the 5110B
heres the pics of when I was there. This is the biggest iron we had ever seen so we were like kids in a candy store driving around the site. The mechanics were union working on sunday and were totally cool with us looking around the job well heres the eye candy
Great pics LOVE TO SEE MORE :notworthy
I just drove up past job today, it looks like they are prepping the south bound side for the cuts. I saw a few Volvo adt's but I didn't see the 5110 must be in hibernation.
I was up there with Sandbox and another friend. I went to school in Williamsport and i live in NY so i drove by there all the time. When i first went down to look at the school in my junior year or high school they were just starting to clear the land behind Lawrenceville to start that portion of the project. And they had a HUGE dozer on the side slope with a winch on it and it was anchored to another dozer at the top or the hill. They were to far away to see how big the dozers were but im sure they were at least D8's. Here are some pics from the Lavrencville Strech and the Turcky ranch stretch that they have recently started. Most all the pics were teken while i was driving.:cool2
more
:usa
:drinkup
:drinkup
last of them
Our main drill site we worked on last summer was right there by the turkey ranch, one mourning on the way to work I saw one of their adt's rolled over on one of their cut roads,It was 20 ft away from a 100ft drop onto Rt15, wish I woulda got a pic of it :-/. This was when they were running their adt's 24/7 to move all that dirt.
HEY I tried to respond to your private message but is said you are not excepting private message's
those are gorgeous machines, miller time, and great pictures. did you get to play in any of them?
Came through there today and they are gearing up. The big boy is digging up on the hill with about 8 adt's hauling. They have the light towers set up to run round the clock like last year. Most of the drains are in place so they can really lay some fill in the hollow. They have finished burning all the stumps. back near the end of feb. you could hardly see for the smoke. I counted seven dozers d6 or larger but did not see any d10 or d11 like last year. There are two drill rigs up by the 5100. they have a lot of rock to move in some spots. I will try to remember my camera next time I go through and let the wife drive the 7 miles of cattle chute so I can take pics. They have 5 emergency pullovers but I don't think pics for HEF qualifies as an emergency!
It was a little wet up there this weekend, here are the pics of the equipment I ran into...
Great pics as always sir, Turnbull use Topcon or Trimble GPS... cause it looks like they have topcon on the dozers and then trimble on teh 345 and 5110? That looks like a seriously big bucket on the 5110.
Here is a close up of the 345C, I believe that is the larger bucket on the 5110.
Nice pics!!! Does anyone clean out their undercarriage on that job?
great pics pullpan! I can't wait to get home to Williamsport and see it for myself
Thanks pullpan, I didn't even see that on the original photo. It's just interesting to see them use two different OEM's of GPS on a job, cause the dozer's (like the D8n) look to have a topcon system installed :beatsme
Ran up there again a few hours ago. Looks like they used the 992G a few days. It is really wet up here they got over an inch of rain yesterday.
damn everything is really going to look different by the time I see it in 2 weeks, thanks for your committed pics pullpan
Damn the 992's down already?
that's what I said
I may be traveling through there in a few weeks so i will have to get some pics. Im sure they will be in full force by then.
Thats funny and no nobody cleans there undercarriages when I worked for them it was all about production if your working 10 hrs a day you start pushing dirt at 7 and stop at exactly 5:30 no time to clean well get it later thats what the foreman told me! They move alot of dirt I was running an 8r trying to put in 1' lifts they were hauling with 777's and if you stop to pee you would have to work like crazy to catch up push in 2nd back up in third yes hard on undercarriages but wow did we move dirt!
ragerider that sound like my type of party
That would be a problem if people from another country can come storming into America and get jobs...
Saw a new 14M up by the Turkey Ranch last night. I will try to get some pics here soon.
great pix guys i am going up close to there over thanks giving, i will try to ck out.thanks ts-24 frank
ts-24 frank if your going there to see equipment there is not much left on job . new road is getting guide rails and is going to open i think nov. 9th
pacattech; thanks for the info wont bother with that one i am going to ck out several other job sites, thanks for the heads up. ts-24 frank
Up at the border of PA and NY there is another 5110, along with another big good size hoe possibly 345/365. Not sure of the contractor. Looks like the 5110 was recently put together. Didn't get a chance to get any pics.
man pullpan you have some special radar to find these machines so fast we just got done putting it together wensday. the contractor is Cold Springs same one that had the last 5110 on 99 job near mansfield they bought this one they are renting flete of 773s from us they are arriving next week the other hoe on job is 385 . this 5110 has been my baby since late October was my winter project. customer had us do ton of work to it . we replaced all the high pressure hoses , rebulit swing drives I rebuilt engine, replace all the hydraulic pumps . tons of other stuff .including painting .I have some stuff to finish up on it next week .found broken track link. I have tons of pics here are just a couple
one more All Done more to follow when I get time
That one big dog! you have done some nice work there all be it what we would call donkey (heavy) work too.well done.:notworthy:notworthy
Nice work PAtech. Which CB office do you work out of? Is that Turnbull's 5110? Please keep postin photos.
Trumbell's 5110 is in West Virginia on another big road job along with all of the trucks. The one from Cold Springs is a beautiful looking machine, maybe one of these days ill get up there and get some pics of it in action.
PAcattech,they are some nice pic.We brought the 5110 that Cold Spring had up on the Manfields job.That was back in 2002 i think.We took it to Delaware and then to Lancaster PA,Then we sold it and it went toSouth America.We worked on a part of the 99 job back in 1990,down around Altona PA.Our company was Thomas M Durkin out of Phila.We have dealt with Cleveland Bros alot over the years.I think they about as good as a dealer there is.Keep the pic comming,I was up past that job this past summer.Mike Durkin
I really need to get up there. I saw the 5110 back when I was going to school at Mansfield. Spent many times watching Hawbaker running through Blossburg and Covington.
great pix guys, cant wait for the good weather to come back and see these beauties come back to life ( poetry in motion ) ts-24frank.
5110B Sighting PAcattech, You did an outstanding job on that 5110B. This is an awesome machine. You must be very proud. It looks brand new. I pass threw their occasionally, and couldn't help stopping to take a few pictures. Its to bad Cat stopped building these these machines. They probably would have been upgraded to a C or D series by now. When you look at the size and scope of civil projects being done around the world, it seems like a 140 ton machine like this would make good economic sense.
5110B Sighting I took pictures of Trumbull's 5110B on the last two jobs they did on I-99. I will look for them and post.
Bigdig; 5110b fantastic shots of the 5110b, what a great job would love to see someone do that to some old scrapers. thankyou for sharing, more please. ts-24frank going past jdm's yard today will try to grab a few pix of the newer ts-24b they are reading for the 202 job soon will post later.
Those pictures remind me of when we were putting our 5110 togather.The best we ever did with that machine was 463 loads in a 10 hour day.It was loading Cat 773's.We had put sideboards on our bucket.It went from a 10 yds to a thirteen yard machine.
Had to stop and take a few pics of the Progress.
sweet pics pullpan, thanks for sharing, keep them coming. who's the GC on this part of the job?
'pullpan do you have any pictures of Mashuda's equipment?
I have not heard of Mashuda, where are the working on 17?
I am not sure where they are working. They are from the Pittsburgh area, Cranberry Township I think. I have heard they are real big, 5130's, 777's 992's.
Why the cab change on Hatachi?
That is what I think is the forestry road builder package on that 200 I may be wrong tho.
I think they work a little further south in PA. I know last summer they had their 5130 and 777's on the PA Turnpike near mile marker 70 I think?:beatsme Makes me wish I had the time to go up there next time I'm home, lots of nice big iron up there.
Yep, its a Deere-Hitachi Special Products(DHSP) Division Roadbuilder. Purpose-built forestry machine; Forestry cab, highwalker undercarriage, carbody protection. They come in 21, 25, 29, and 37 ton sizes in both Deere and Hitachi colors with Roadbuilder, Processor, and several Log Loader configurations. On a sidenote, you don't see the Cat tracked skidders very often.
also just north of there on RT17 in NY between corning and binghampton there is a ton of iron including a 385
Rifenburg Construction is working that section of Rte 17. They are doing the I86 upgrade.
there are tons of cat track skidders out here. seems like every logging outfit has 1.
Should have said that i don't see them often, even on the internet. I've seen 1 in person and it was a wore out D4 skidder.
pullpan; great new shots, thanks for sharing. ts-24frank
I just went past there about a month ago. I didn't see the 385 though.
This site all wrapped up? any pics of the final product.. or mabye some more equip. pics ?
Here are a few more pics of Cold Spring Constructions' 5110b on the future I-99 project in Lindley, New York
Nice pics bigshow. Thanks for sharing. How recently are the last ones?
They were from this spring, maybe Aprilish. I'll get some more pictures on Sunday. I think the 740B get shipped out, if not I will get some of that too.
Very sweet pics. thanks for the update Bigshow!! I heard Cold Springs is trying out a Deere high speed dozer. Do you know if they have it down there?
I'm glad I could contribute, I did manage to get some more pictures Sunday, some from 99 and some from Reifenburgs' project on 86. I will post them as soon as I get a minute. As for the 764 it was on the thru-way job in Weedsport, N.Y., interesting machine, many guys didn't like it, I thought it was kinda handy in the proper situation. The Binghamton job comes out tomorrow that's gonna be a good job right there. Until next time.....
Man u should get some videos of that 5110 gettin at it..
That 5110 doesn't exactly "get at it" it's pretty pokey and boring to watch. Throw three buckets at the nearest truck and repeat about 600 times then go home.
Hey guys, I just drove through the section where Cold Spring is working this past Tues/Wed, they also did a new bridge project just before this one. I believe they were hauling equipment back to the shop because I passed a lowboy empty coming back to the jobsite. I went and saw them when they were doing the RT219 extension project in the southtowns of Buffalo a couple years back. I noticed quite a large boom up on the hilltop and was convinced it was their 385, but now after seeing this post, not sure if it was the 5110, can anyone confirm that it is still there? Looks like they still have to build a few bridges on that project, but majority of the earthmoving is completed, from what I could see from the road below. The 764 dozer was on the I90 reconstruction project outside Syracuse pushing stone base. I "heard" that flowboys were just lined up letting stone loose and the dozer was going at it. Any news of where Cold Spring is headed next? Also, does anyone know if they're a union or non-union outfit? Not trying to start trouble, just asking!
The backhoe you seen in springville was the 385c, that's down there in presho. The 110 is also on the presho job, that was purchased a year and a half or so ago. That 764 put down a lot of gravel, but so has every other dozer, last but not least non-union. I was on a road trip to Indiana last week and noticed a lot of kokosing pickups doing survey work in Ohio, next big job?
I remember the 385 in Springville, had my wife stand in the bucket for a pic! They also had their 245 ME and the 365(b or c?). I have to travel from Buffalo to Harrisburg twice a month for training so I am hoping to see the 5110 up close, only had a cell phone pic when I saw one first hand before. Not sure about kokosing, just a fan of their company, I have the same name on the DHS forums so I figured I'd keep it on here too.
the 385 was pretty sweet to see in Springville. I t was real funny to see the CAT haul trucks fly across RT39. The flag guys would just stop traffic and let them roll thruogh full speed ahead load and empty.
^ what part of wny are you from? I never got to see them actually working, but I did get to see the scrapers when they first started site work and that following spring with all the equipment and the Manitowoc ringer they had setup. Such a shame that all of that work, hundred+ million dollars for a whopping 2 mile extension. Can't wait to see how long before the next phase begins, we have a better chance of the waterfront getting developed!!
kokosing I'm from the Arcade area. I do not know if we will ever see it completed.
Wnydirtguys' comment about crossing the road at full speed reminded me of the corning 86 bypass project when they were running 31's and 37's off that side hill. The corning city cops sat at the crossing one day and shot radar on them as they came down off the hill, 55 to 60m.p.h.. They would kick em into neutral and throttle lock em so they could steer. Go hard or go home........plus they always stop when they get to the bottom, right?
http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=131294 Hey guys, I stopped by the site yesterday and was able to catch the 5110b and the 385cl. Looks like they're parked for the winter.
great pics kokosing. I see you get into the old steel plant in Lackawanna.
I used to manage the lumber yard that was there. There are some GEMS that are at the site!
I worked at a lumber yard there in the winter of 2009/2010...hahaha
you did? what was your name?
Being a flat land boy. what the heck they do with all that dirt????? Find a flat spot somewhere and build another mountain?????
Balance job, cut the highs, fill the lows.
Just made my last trip to Harrisburg PA this past weekend, looks like there's going to be a large project starting just north of Williamsport on RT15 and then another just south of Williamsport past the Little League World Series. Saw a new CAT 336E, CAT D8T, Case excavator, a skidder, a couple Prentice mulchers and a Komatsu excavator with a grapple. The job north was just a bunch of support equipment, setting jersey barriers and paving crossovers. Can anyone possibly keep an update of these? They're literally 20 mins from each other. Also the Cold Springs Job is back kicking, the 5110 & 385 were parked by the staging area, along with a D8T and other equipment. Looks like they're going to start laying some concrete for the roadway, and still have a lot of work to do there.
Dont get to excited kokosing they arnt very big jobs. job just north of williamsport on Rte 15 is concrete replacement . just south of Williamsport on 15 they are removing the steel retaining wall at the look out and cutting back the mountain side so the road can be made wider on the curve lot of bad car chrashes happen there. and the 5110 and 385 are done at cold springs I was told last week they are for sale dirts pretty much move at Cold Springs job
Cold spring just got the second phase of that job, bridges and rehabilitation of the old NY15. Concrete paving is slated to begin mid to late may.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it. That curve was pretty wicked there, good thing they are reconstructing it. I can't believe that's all they're doing is just concrete replacement, figuring they were doing more than that. Does anyone know where Cold Spring is headed next? The 5110 and the 385 are both for sale also? That must mean that there isn't anything big coming up soon.
No major dirt work in the forecast, smaller road and bridge rehab work is about all NY state can afford. CSCC has a job at Darien lake, finishing I-86 coopers plains, I-99/rt.15, about a dozen bridge jobs throughout the state, and finishing up I-90 from exits 39 to 40. The virgin dirt in our overly taxed state is done for the most part, it's all rehabs, and mill/fill work from here on out, if you want to see big iron this isn't the place for it, sorry.
Any updates on the Presho job? What's going on down there?
I-99 is open.