Hey guys, Made a trip to Cleveland yesterday and first checked out Beaver's SR 8 and 271 Project worth $91 million, mainly bridge work, wasn't able to get pics because we were on the go, quite a project though. We then ventured down to Akron - Canton Airport to see Beaver finishing up a total of 3 Phases worth 2.5-3 million yards of dirt, $10 million project(s) I believe. They had a 385C L, 375 L, D8R, D8N, D8L, (4) 773F's, few D6's, and various support equipment there. I'm pretty sure there was some more iron I wasn't able to see. Phase 5 of the Airport just bid which is to include 2.1 million yards of dirt work. Independence Excavating was the low bidder at $8.2 million, but the airport rejected their bid because they didn't cover there DBE goal. The project now went to H.M. Miller with a bid of $8.4 million. Beaver came in 4th on the project because they figured on moving the dirt twice because it was so wet. The next project was Beaver's Upground Reservoir Project in Marysville, Ohio, that project is worth $6,745,000. They are moving approximately 1.7 million yards of dirt there. On site they have (7) Tractor Pans, (6) 631's, (5) 773's, (3) D6's, EX 1200, PC 400, D9L Pushcat, (2) D9N, D9R, (2) 825's, 16G ans various support equipment. Unfortunately both projects we're rained out, but I will be going back eventually to get action shots. Today dad and I discussed going down to Nelsonville, Ohio to check out Kokosing on the US 33 Project. They are moving 3.5 million yards down there, we spoke to the superintendent and the PC 2000 is there, so I'll have pics coming of that. I have a lot more pictures, so feel free to request more of certain pieces. Enjoy!!
More pics .....
and more ....
and 5 more .....
I live about 4 miles from the airport project in Manchester. I have watched them move all that dirt from the south end to the airport grounds to the north. It is quite a project. I interviewed with Beaver back in the fall, but at the time they were not hiring. They offered me a job in March, but I am happy where I am. I know the Sterling's quite well, especially Matt. They are probably the largest earth moving company in Ohio. They have done some awesome projects including the Rt. 30 project in Wooster. They built a new office in Canton, and it is conveintly right next to Ohio Cat on Rt. 30 there. I have toured the Rt. 30 Project, Rt 8/ 271, project, and was in their office as it was being constructed. They donate quite a bit of time to the University of Akron Construction program, which I am an Alumni of. I am getting ready to start my own airport project at the Akron Fulton Airport putting up new Hangars. Should be a fun project.
What other iron did you see Beaver have present on that project? What did they have stationed on the 30 project, I know they did the $75 mil. section of 30 with ES Wagner. Is Matt the brother of Mark and Jeff, or a son of one of them?
If I remember right, Matt is the son of Mark. I believe Matt I believe is the Vice-president. He handles all their contracts. Matt's wife is also a PM. Most of what you pictured there has been on the airport project for quite awhile. I think they have been working on it for over a year now. They have moved alot of dirt already, but there is alot more to move. On the route 30, they had the Hitachi 2000, D11, a few D9's (one with GPS), several D6's (at least 2 with GPS), Cat Pans (sorry, not familiar with pans), a couple of 385's, 375, 330, 345 with breaker, 345 with ripper, Cat Grader 14? (with GPS), several 773 haul trucks, couple Linkbelt crawler cranes, a few backhoes, a few loader, a few track loaders, several roller, and sheeps foots. At that time they were building their new office, and their yard was pretty empty. As you can imagine, they had a boat load of iron out there. They did have a Cat pan all tore apart in their shop for a total rebuild. I think they also had a D6 in there for a new undercarriage.
Thanks for the info, am I reading your post correctly, D11?