just wondering what everyone else prefers, G series Cats versus H series Cats. We have a Cat 140G with 21,000 hours, and a Cat 143H with 12,000 hours on it. Both of them were county blades before we got them. The 140G has never been overhauled, but it's on its third transmission. The things I like about the 140G is that it moldboard will turn fairly quick even with a load on it, it has a lot of pushing power even with 21,000 hours on it, it feels like the hydraulic controls have more feed back, the heater will cook you out, the a/c will freeze your leg off, and the front windows swing open. The things I like about the 143H is it's obviously a little more comfortable, it has front wheel assist, the cab has more of an open feeling and it seems like it has better view but the windows don't open, it has quick hydraulics but they don't give very much feel like the ones on the 140G and the moldboard will not turn with any bit of a load on it, and the climate controls are easier to find a happy medium with. Some of the other guys hate the 143 and love the 140. What are your opinions?
Kinda like picking between Raquel Welch and Angelina Jolie! One's older but...well...pretty darn sharp. Same with those graders!
our 140H graders down here you could open the front windows, the circle motors have a clutch in the H which is the reason for the circle speed and power (your one might need new clutch discs) we ran around 6 or 7 140H's from new and they all used to run like a train, i think they didnt even get new batterys til they hit 8000hrs, then get got a 140H tier 2, that was a lemon and we also got the first 140M in Western Australia and that was even worse! IMO the old 140H with the 3306 would be top of the line machine the H was evolved over years with only minor improvements over the G then the M's came out and the design is so far removed from the G that there was always going to be technical issues
The opening front windows were always an option. Looks like you got lucky with the G! You can still buy the whole opening window assembly if you've got the $$$. As raress implied, the circle drive clutch on your H may need adjusting or repair, or you may have a hydraulic pressure problem. I've got a few customers with H series II machines and they've been fine.
Just some details to remember; the early model G Series used a High Standby Hydraulic System (2500psi) and the later models G Series used a Low Standby (390psi) there was a dramatic deference in the two, both had their advantages, but I personally preferred the old High Standby System. Also the early model G Series had a small 3 cluster planet drive between the circle drive motor and the circle drive gear case and the later G Series did not. The later G Series used a larger G Rotor Motor to get power rather than the planetary drive. I personally believe the early ones had better startup torque with the moldboard loaded, but must admit I shattered a couple sets of planataries before I learned my lesson. The slip clutch was optional on the G Series and became standard on the H Series. The H Series started production with the brass wear-strips standard in the circle and then switched to Graphite Impregnated Nylon in 98; this helped improve circle drive torque under load since the nylon had a lower coefficient of friction. The slip clutch really has nothing to do with speed it was designed as a breakaway safety item in case of sudden impact. You should notice the moldboard rotation slipping under load long before it ever has an impact on rotation speed. They’re very easy to adjust to prevent slippage and can withstand a ton of abuse before they need replacing. IMO there is a lot of differences between the 140G & the 140H; longer frames, resilient mounted engine and transmission vs. a hard mounted, 8 speed Countershaft Drive transmission vs. 6 speed Planetary Drive trans., Y Framed Drawbars vs. V Framed, Triple PC Hydraulics vs. Double PC, Direct Fuel Injected engine vs. Pre-combustion Chamber engine (early G Series), Pressurized Cab vs. Non Pressurized Cab (early G Series), 40,000 btu HVAC vs. 20,000 btu HVAC, Hydraulic Demand Fans (Tier II, H Series) vs. Direct Drive Fans, etc. etc…… Regards, Randy
Good summary Randy. Have to correct you on one point though. 140H (and 160H) have the countershaft tranny. Planetary transmission is in the 14, 16 and 24. Dunno about the high standby pressure system also. Any machine that needed you to stomp on a pedal to get the engine to start needed some more design work, imo.
Well they aren't really that far apart in age when you think about some of the vintage equipment some guys are using. Our 140G is a 1992 and the 143H is a 2003 I think. The 143H has a 3176 ATAAC but it is essentially the same engine as the 3306 in the 140G. The 143H seems to have great pushing power but it seems like the 140G has just as much. When I'm doing snow removal on township roads, the wing on the side of the blade will kick the back end of the 143 right around but it seems like the back end on the 140G can hold its ground better using a wing
Cmark My second paragraph comparison was specifically regarding the 140 and only the 140 and that’s why it says 140. I made no mention of the 14, 16 and certainly not the 24. I’m not sure what post or thread you were reading. I also compared an 8 speed to a 6 speed, there was never a 6 speed in the 14 or 16G. Regards, Randy
Apologies. I (wrongly) thought you were implying that the 140H has a planetary. I was pointing out that 14H and up have a planetary.
Simple 140H Series 2 VHP. with my mod's Kill an M ( provided Im in the H ) Or And 14H Series 2 as in same --^ And my baby 16 H. But the 140 is more universal in many way's. Ooop's sorry did you say G ? lol.. joke I was on a 12g 2 weeks ago. still a nice old girl I have a very nice soft spot for them. They can take a hiding. as in they will go places you won't get your nice shiny H or Perish the thought an M Series lol. to many wires n crap will get pulled off. ( and that is just going of the bitumen )
Well I love the 140G that I operate. Like i said, it was a county blade before we bought it, and we have taken care of it since we got it. The only things I have to complain about is the A/C / heater vents that only blow out right by your left leg, only the speaker by my left ear works for the radio, the cabin filters plug easily, and 6th gear is kind of a dog compared to road gear in the 143H.
We use both a 140G and a 140H in our grader fleet. The 140G although a 1980 model does the job and the older operators enjoy its abilities. The 140H seems to attract the younger operators although I would suspect it has something to do with the AC and radio option..