Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion 125 crane crowd function problem

CenterhillCaddy · 2015-03-21 20:03

Hello everyone. I have a galion 125 crane with a problem in the crowd function. All other functions work properly one at a time or in combination. It works fine when extending the boom. When you retract the boom, it works ok until the first section comes all the way in. At this point with part of the second section still out, the engine bogs while retracting to the point of almost stalling. It will eventually come all the way in, but it takes a while. Has anyone else had this type of problem? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1BobCatBob2015-03-21 23:37

    I've got a 150a; there is a valve block at the back end of the boom....could be an issue with a spool. Did you get the manuals from Airhead? Do you have two crowd levers in the cab. (1st section then a 2&3 section)...?

  2. #2CenterhillCaddy2015-03-22 10:37

    I only have one lever for the crowd function. With the boom all the way out, retracting the boom at that point doesn't bog the engine, but i don' t think you could use another function at the same time. Once the first section comes all the way in and there is still part of the second section left to be pulled in, the problem starts. I did not get the manuals. I contacted a guy; it may have been airhead, but the one I contacted said he had a parts manual and some others but no service manual.

  3. #3BobCatBob2015-03-22 18:08

    Contact Phil or Jake at Contractors Crane in Houston Texas, they have helped me immensely with parts and problem solving.

  4. #4taseblewett2016-08-17 15:26

    Help! I know this is an old thread but Im hoping some of the members are still active?! I just recently started to have the same problem and was wondering if the problem was resolved and if so what was the solution? (Sorry about the spelling!!)

  5. #5BobCatBob2016-08-17 17:49

    I ended taking mine in to a hydraulic shop to repack the internal crowd cylinders (sections 3&4), and have them put new O rings on the valve diverter block (up by the winch). That did the trick. After 2000+ hrs of work on my 150a model, I've worked on pretty much anything I could do myself. If your sections 3&4 work, but move slowly, out of synch, or seem to rattle in motion......make sure your hydraulic fluid is topped off....and run the engine up. Also, if the boom hoses are on their last leg, replace them.

  6. #6taseblewett2016-08-17 18:21

    Thank you very much! I'll pull the valve body and rebuild it and see if that works!

  7. #7markland5562016-08-26 00:56

    Im having this same issue with my Galion 80. I have been repairing the boom since i bought it. Had a new crowd cylinder made for it and today was the first time i fully extended the boom. Now it will not retract. You can see it struggle and move in about a half inch but then slowly returns to where it was. My best guess is that the fluid is not flowing back to the tank. I moved the cylinder in and out many times while working on it but today was the first full extension. Lowering the boom seems to be a little bit of a struggle for it and the Int hoist lever seems like its not connected to anything inside the valve block. My plan is to remove the spools from the valve block and try to see whats going on. But I am not too sure what else could be holding the fluid up. Its just very weird that this happened only after extending the cylinder fully.

  8. #8taseblewett2016-08-26 01:05

    So I thought I would update on what our problem was. We all feel like idiots for not finding the problem sooner! We broke the cylinder mount off inside the second stage crowd so the cylinder was working properly it just wasn't connected to anything inside the boom!