Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NCCCO is on the way out

EyeInTheSky ยท 2015-03-13 23:11

Hello all, my instructor advised me to get licensed through CIC and not NCCCO do to the fact that CCCO was being pushed out of the crane industry and CIC was going to be the new top dog in the industry. I am no expert on this matter as I am just a heavy equipment operator trying to add another certification to my wallet. They told me that CIC was the best route to take, they said by July anyone with a NCCCO license may be invalid, and that scared me a little to pay all that money just to be no good by July. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Don't want to offend or disrespect anyone in the industry...just looking for some answers so I can tell my dad who has his NCCCO certain for over 10 years, he needs to go the same direction. -Thanx!

Replies3
  1. #1td25c2015-03-14 00:15

    Yeah EyeINTheSky .... That does sound a bit confusing as your not sure which alphabet organization to go with ? I don't have any advice on either one . I let the customer tell us what & where we need to be . That's who I work for .... The customer . Paying customer needing a lift is top dog in the crane industry

  2. #2Knepptune2015-03-14 11:08

    I can't see that happening at all. NCCCO is the crane certification. There are other but NCCCO covers them all. NCCCO has a lot of Union and Osha backing. There's no way every crane operator could get a new certification by July. That the whole reason they keep pushing back the deadline for all crane operators to be certified. There aren't enough instructors or testing facilities for everyone to become certified.

  3. #3CascadeScaper2015-03-29 16:24

    NCCCO not going anywhere anytime soon, absolutely not by July. For now, it's the mainstay, but I think in 10-15 years it could be a different story. I suppose if your employer decided to no longer recognize NCCCO as a certification program, you might have a problem, but I don't see contractors deciding overnight that they are no longer going to accept NCCCO standards. Right now, anything other than NCCCO is inferior and there's nothing wrong with NCCCO standards. I've been an NCCCO cardholder for 5 years with no complaints. I've never heard of CIC, but for the union guys I think OECP might be a real contender in 5 years.