Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion 150 outrigger rebuild

tonka91 ยท 2024-11-02 18:00

Guys, Any help would be very much appreciated. I have removed the outrigger and removed the threaded gland retainer what in the world do I do next to get the piston out.

Replies4
  1. #1tonka912024-11-03 10:16

    If there is already a post addressing this please just direct me that way because I could not find it anywhere ..what I found was people saying yes I've done those before, they suck to get off the machine, others seconding the statements. But no information as to how to break it down. The next thing I'm thinking about trying is reinstall it on the crane without the screw cap and make the machine push the piston out?? Thoughts anyone?

  2. #2crane operator2024-11-03 12:10

    I've never rebuilt a galion outrigger cylinder. Have you pulled the holding valve so you don't have the cylinder piston locked with fluid? Can you get it on a bench or tied between the crane and something else, and put a come a long on it to pull it apart? I wouldn't put it in the machine and push fluid to it.

  3. #3bccat2024-11-03 13:12

    Jeff Anderson on YouTube did some, Jpaydirt

  4. #4tonka912024-11-03 14:43

    Ok guys all good questions and you have no idea how much I appreciate the response but I have figured it out so I will explain what I managed then the way better way that I did for the other one I needed to rebuild. Cylinder 1: 1. I disconnected all hydraulic hoses from the cylinder on the machine 2. I unbolted the cylinder from both ends on the machine 3. I reached in that well it's in and got as good of a grip on it as I could and picked it up and pulled it out ( I do not recommend this they are very heavy) 4. Put it in a bench vise in the shop and used a brass punch to drive the screw on cap off (this was easy) 5. Out of frustration I put a large pin in the bushing that connects the the outrigger side and held the pin straight (had my wife hold the cylinder case as still as she could) so I could be at on the pin and drive the piston out (I used the Wilton bash 16" 10lb hammer) "it's my favorite I told you so tool" 6. Piston finally came out and landed on a big bed of empty cardboard boxes I place so it wouldn't mess it up 7. Repack it all (very easy to do nothing special or a pain) 8. Line everything back up and beat it back together *** While this did work it sucked and I was not going to do it like this again and do not wish that on anyone here is the way I did the next one and it took about an hour 1. Unbolt the piston rod from the outrigger 2. Start machine and suck in the piston rod all the way 3. The cylinder will be low enough in the well that you can put a brass punch in a deep well socket and put extensions on it so you can swing a ball pin hammer (this doesn't take a ton of force at all) keep driving it around about 2.1/2 turns then unscrew by hand 4. Put strap through bushing and attach to truck hitch or (I used my mini excavator) and slowly pull 5. I had a block of wood and cardboard padding the inside of the well at this point so when the piston fell it would land softly. And it did 6. Take piston and rod that is now free and reinstall it on the outrigger with the piston facing away from the machine (makes for a way better vise) 7. Remove piston nut repack and reinstall on the machine *** This worked very well some of you may make fun of me but I will be doing that way from now on I really hope this information is well accepted by the group as I have always looked to these forums for great information and always wanted to be able to contribute..if I can help anyone else please reach out I work on a ton of different stuff