Hi Everyone, I recently picked up a Lin-Belt HSP-15 to use personally for about a year, and then resell. I'm building a big timberframe barn, and a big timberframe shed, and will use it to position the timbers in place. When the previous owner delivered it, he'd left the the main power switch on for a could hours, and the batteries were low. The crane ran, but wouldn't move. We parralled another battery and the crane moved. We figured out then that the alternator wasn't charging. I bought a replacement alternator, wired it exactly as the old one was, and smoke... Figured it was no good, bought another and smoke. At this point I know That I am hooking it up as the wiring diagram shows. Funny thing is that it happens with only the battery connection, and the connection to the engine block. There are lots of other electrical gremlins that I've been trying to figure out. Almost all of the dash gauges don't work for instance. I did some research online about the internal wiring for the 10si delco alternator, and came to the conclusion that the only way the alternator should smoke with the battery cable and chassis connection is it power was revered and the bridge rectifier was flowing and heating, The previous owner had told me that he'd just replaced the batteries. This lead me to think that maybe he'd hooked them up backwards, so I checked last night. He does have red to positive, and black to negative, BUT tracing the red cable lead me to the main cutoff which then goes right to the chassis. I'm attaching a wiring diagram that I got directly from Link-Belt for my crane, It doesn't seem to agree with how this thing is wired. I think the wiring from the battery is wrong, and it would explain a lot, but it looks factory. It certainly looks like the wiring to the battery and to the alternator disagree. Anyone have experience with this? Ever seen a positive ground on a link-belt?
No replies yet.