I managed to break a tooth and chip some others off the cast iron blade circle gear on my seldom used grader, to avoid the hassle of removing the whole gear and taking to machine shop, could I build this tooth up with stick welding and shape with a die grinder? Would it be strong enough. My welding abilities are Ok, not professional. What rods would be recommended? thxs
IDE do exactly what you just posted. I’m no professional welder but I would use 7018.
Are you sure it's cast iron? I wouldn't think the ring would be cast iron but maybe. I'd do some testing to better determine the material. Spark test or see if cuts with a cutting torch. If is a type of cast steel, I'd use build up rod and preheat it to about 200-250 degs. and peen each weld with a dull chipping hammer or needle scaler if you have one. The big advantage to build up rod is that it won't mushroom and deform. If it is determined to be cast iron 7018 might be a better choice. Second link below has some more info and applications where build up rod is used. It's not cheap but would be the best solution if the ring is a type of steel or cast steel. Getting all the grease off so it's clean and doesn't start a fire might be the biggest issue to deal with. Stoody Build-Up LH (westarco.com) Stoody - STO11412900 (praxairusa.com)