Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pulling wheels/hubs on Cat 12E Grader (brake job)

DualsportWA ยท 2021-07-19 17:45

Hi all. I have a 1964 Cat 12E road grader, and just adjusted the brakes for the first time this morning. Got the pedal back, and things are working. I did notice that I seem to be out of adjustment on one of the wheels. So I'm "pro-actively" researching brake hub (wheel hub) removal for when brake shoes are needed. The service manual shows a hydraulic press (See attached picture, I've read it takes 25 tons or more to move the hub on the shaft) to remove or install the hub. I'm wondering if anyone knows of an alternative way to do this? Thanks for any info!

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2021-07-19 18:08

    Try reading this thread - HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2DualsportWA2021-07-19 19:03

    Thanks Nige!

  3. #3Bluox2021-07-19 20:45

    Where are you located? I may have all that stuff left in my puller set. Haven't pulled a blade wheel in 15 years. If you aren't too far away I can come pull it. Bob

  4. #4DualsportWA2021-07-19 20:52

    I'm in Cashmere, WA- I see you're in WA as well, where are you? I'll PM you to get your contact info....

  5. #5b29driver2024-05-17 09:56

    Does anyone have recent information on pulling wheel and transmission brake drums? I'm replacing the master cylinder and rubber flex hoses with hopes of getting wheel brake working. I for sure need to pull transmission brake drum to replace linings. Has anyone pulled the transmission brake drum?