Hello, I have a older Galion 503 grader that I am looking for some parts for. It has a 6 cyl gas flathead engine which I believe is a Hercules. Does anyone recall what model engine they would have used in this 503? I need a new carb or rebuild kit, also a starter. I'll post some pics soon of the engine... Thanks!
Have yet to find any numbers or identification on the engine
Looks like an F226 or F227 Continental to me.
I rebuilt an engine in a Tow-Motor forklift years ago that looked a lot like that engine. If I remember correctly it was a T150 Chrysler. engine. Is there a Chrysler/Dodge emblem cast on it anywhere?
It appears to be a Continental F163. This one is for sale on the internet.
Not a Chrysler Ind. engine the distributor on those engines was located on the side of the engine.
You are correct, it is a four cylinder not six, guess I should have my glasses on.
There is a small round disk on top of the carburetor that is the model number. You will need that for a kit.
Mine is 6 cylinder
Ok then my original post. The starter for those was usually a Delco Remy. Post a picture of it and the starter mount, 2 bolt or 3.
It is 3 bolt…
I’ll check the carb as well
If it were mine I would take it off and do it myself. That said a competent starter alternator shop would either rebuild it or sell you an external shift type. The drive on that is a centrifugal type and a good starter man should be able to cross it over. I'm assuming 12 volt.
Those starters had an oval shape tag if not it may be stamped in.
Thanks for your help, here is a pic of that disc on the carb..looks like 14475
That's a Zenith 14475, a google search should get you a kit.
F226 Continental. Not much on power, but reliable.
It sure looks to be a Continental but 6 cylinders for sure. In the pic. you can see 3 spark plug on the one side. I think the F226 is the older version and the F227 is newer, the same as the F162 and F163. Lincoln welders used all of them if you're looking for parts or service.
Aren't you near me, or am I thinking of someone else? If so, take that starter to Hancock's starter service behind KFC in Kingstree and tell Mark I sent you.
That pipe cap for an oil filler cap is a Continental tip off for me. Engine model / serial number is often stamped into the cylinder block just below the head gasket. Maybe on the flywheel end of the block? Odie
How often did a industrial engine use a down draft carb ?