Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion roll-o-matic roller wont roll!

rickw ยท 2014-03-27 06:35

I am trying to help a friend get a roller going.It worked fine when it was parked a few years ago. Now he got it started but it wont move. The torque converter has fluid it it and it appears it works. The tag on torque converter says Clark. The shafts coming out of trans w/ the clutches does not turn. What does the part between the torque converter and the trans? It says it is a Governor? What is its function? I added oil to it, it was empty, can that stop rotation to trans? I am not very familiar with this machine, but I figured rotation has to go thru torque converter and the governor then trans. Thanks for any advice!! I dont have model # but it has a approx 4' dia drum on back and 3' dia. drum on front. I am trying to help a friend get a roller going.It worked fine when it was parked a few years ago. Now he got it started but it wont move. The torque converter has fluid it it and it appears it works. The tag on torque converter says Clark. The shafts coming out of trans w/ the clutches does not turn. What does the part between the torque converter and the trans? It says it is a Governor? What is its function? I added oil to it, it was empty, can that stop rotation to trans? I am not very familiar with this machine, but I figured rotation has to go thru torque converter and the governor then trans. Thanks for any advice!! I dont have model # but it has a approx 4' dia drum on back and 3' dia. drum on front.

Replies2
  1. #1RMXR2014-04-06 18:12

    Rick, There is a scan of the Galion Service Manual for the Converter Output Shaft Governor waaaay down the first page under Rollers here: http://www.steeringclutch.com/transmissiondiscsGALION.htm It's probably not the exact info you are seeking but it's a start. It details the tear-down and rebuild procedure but refers you to the operators manual for adjustment and operation. Cheers, Gary

  2. #2rickw2014-04-07 06:36

    Thanks Gary for the info. We ended up getting it to go. The roller had been setting for several years and the problem was the clutches were stuck. We lubed and tapped on them and got them freed up. Now it runs good in reverse but it acts like the forward clutch need adjustment. Anybody know how to adjust?