Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Galion roller engine ID ?

koalamotorsport · 2021-08-06 12:17

Picked up this Galion. No model markings or serial number / ID plate to be found. Came from a scrap yard in Cleveland so has probably been stolen 5 times since new. Needs a water pump and I can't ID the engine. I thought the machine was a Galion S5-3B based on pictures found on the interwebs, but everything I find on that model says 3 cylinder engine. This is a 4 cylinder diesel in this machine. Sorry for the potato photos, but it was extremely bright outside and extremely dark in the engine bay.

Replies3
  1. #1Tones2021-08-06 19:32

    Looks like a Perkins engine but if possible get some more photos. The original 3 cylinder engine could have been Perkins as well.

  2. #2John C.2021-08-12 10:46

    I seem to recall some of those having International engines in them. I don't recall seeing any Perkins engines in anything in the time frame that old dog was born.

  3. #3repowerguy2021-08-12 20:38

    Galion was famous or notorious for putting in whatever engine was available and would fit in the hole. I rebuilt a Waukesha gasser in a 4-6 Galion years back. A place I worked at had a 10 ton with a 4BT Cummins in it. You’re right though, they really liked IH engines. Likely the proximity of the Springfield IH plant and Galions art-deco factory was a big factor.