We purchased this truck 6 yrs ago & the factory painted deck really needed attention with all the salt we run in up here in the North, so we decided to try galvanizing it in lieu of painting it this time. While we had the deck off we sandblasted & repainted the torque box, truck frame from the crane back, the back pindle hitch area & the hyd tank. Has anyone else tried galvanizing instead of repainting?
I know there are trailer Mfg's offering galvanized. I think it will work well if you stay on top of the worn and scratched areas. Gotta be tougher than paint.
Randy88 has posted a few times about it. I'm curious what it cost and where do you get it done? The scratches will be a problem, but stuff usually rusts out underneath, not on top. The top gets rinsed better. HeavyEquipmentForums
We use a galvanizing company about an hr away who does lots of other dipping for us on beams, stairs, railings etc.. Not sure of the cost but it will likely be around 50 cents/lb of object weight +they add 5% additional weight to the charge once dipped, as that is approx. how much weight the galvanizing process adds. I am thinking that deck may weigh 2,200 lbs ish. Once we get invoiced for it I can post the actual cost.
Been around galvanized for a long time, it will erode over time much as a paint will where as some material gets to it as to initiating galvanic corrosion or electrolysis the galvanized will sacrifice itself until is gone, and it will erode over time. Used massive 100% 50# Zinc blocks in the hulls of river tows near St. Louis, would haul them by the trailer loads for replacements on the boats and tow hulls. Seen a fragment remaining in the bilge of the old towboats as built up electrolysis ate the blocks instead of the hull. Most lasted less than two years. That coating should last a considerable amount of time for you boys up north.
I just checked into our invoicing for the deck to be galvanized & it was just shy of $1,700 CDN. So far it is holding up well in the salt laden roads up here.
I was curious about your little operating cab, factory or homebuilt? I'm sure it keeps you out of the wind, but it looks pretty short, unless there's a seat in there instead of standing. The galvanizing looks good, and with your rust issues there, is certainly worth a try.
Mot of the national cranes I worked on, that was just a standing station, seems like it hangs low on the side of the frame and could be just that. Had a foot throttle so did not have to use a cable hand throttle for the truck engine at the floor while all the other functions were at the hands.
The cab was supplied by the dealer, but not Manitex, aftermarket, made by a company in Quebec for about 1/2 the price if I remember correctly. It was an add on after we owned the truck a few months. It seems like a must up here in the North. Operator usually stands when in the cab operating, but there is a fold down seat which is mostly used when waiting for the next lift. Truck is an ugly mess now, as it has been running in the salt. Cant be helped when there is work to do though!!
Very nice set up, have stood on those open Nationals I spoke of in the winter down here!!
That is a nice looking cab. I've never owned a stand up rig, but I've run a few off and on, and I'll take a swing cab please. I bet the deck comes in nice for hauling materials to site on the truck, and then offloading/installing with the crane, they certainly have their place. Do you have a little 12 hot water heater in there also?
Yes, hot water from the Kenworth engine to supply heat in the operators cab. Actually, it will roast you out too!
Our previous crane was a 14Ton JLG & that one was an open station............cold in the winter for sure! We owned this one for about 14 years before the Kenworth. Lots of cold days spent on that platform!