Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Diagnostic Report.

Canadian_digger · 2017-11-27 19:42

I'm looking at a truck at RB auction. They have a diagnostic report. Wondering if I should worry about anything. What do you guys think?

Replies11
  1. #1Junkyard2017-11-27 20:19

    It doesn't surprise me to see EGR and VGT codes. I don't think I've owned one that didn't throw one now and then. Doesn't seem to be any recurring issues unless those were all cleared.....often it's not an indicator of an issue, just than the ECM saw a reading that was out of spec. Like the EGR delta pressure sensor one. That's supposed to be a good motor, I had one in a western star. Pulled ok, it didn't like much over 120-125k gross. I didn't have it long enough to worry about seeing what I could do to make it run better. Somebody else wanted it worse than I did! They are well supported parts wise etc so I wouldn't be scared of it.

  2. #2Queenslander2017-11-27 21:46

    Do you know if the mileage is genuine or on the second time around? I recently passed on a 4900 with an ISX that had 447984 km and 11994 hrs, of which 3257hrs or 27% were idle time. Oil sample looked alright, but when looking for a low mileage truck I expected it to have lowish hrs. as well.

  3. #3Truck Shop2017-11-27 21:49

    2007 EGR 14L DDEC V {Don't touch it-Walk away} If it was a DDEC IV absolutely buy it especially the 550 hp 1850 torque it will pull well over 125K and has 797 jake. The 05 to 08 series 60 EGR engines were turds and that's being polite. Those engines ran way to much boost 48 to 51 lbs on a engine originally designed for 30 lbs. The V-pod that controls the VNT vane turbo will go to hell at a moments notice and it will let you know it went to hell when you put your foot in it to build a little boost and the turbo starts barfing back through the air cleaners, a severe barking noise. You have to double clamp the CAC hoses because the boost is so high the hoses leak or the hoses just plain blow out. Head gasket issues also. We had 17 of those engines and needed a net behind them to catch the parts as they flew off. Truck Shop

  4. #4Muffler Bearing2017-11-28 16:18

    Code 39 always makes me cringe, It's the most vague fault code, could be anything to do with boost leaks, exhaust leaks, Turbo or Vpod or EGR Like Truck Shop said, and just for good measure, it can even be caused by fuel supply issues. Probably the most common code for Series 60

  5. #5Canadian_digger2017-11-28 18:26

    Thank you for the feedback. I'm also looking at this truck. Looks like no codes? It's a 2007 T800

  6. #692U 34062017-11-28 19:39

    Battery volts are pretty low. I would bank on having to change them out fairly soon if they fail a load test once re-charged.

  7. #7Queenslander2017-11-29 04:25

    So, how are the large hours incurred in Canada, weather related perhaps? Here, assuming the mileage is genuine, I would expect similar trucks to have around half those engine hrs. The 4900 we ended up with had 225000 kms with 3500 hrs, 15% idle time and 63.5 km/h average speed.

  8. #892U 34062017-11-29 09:30

    Depends on the truck's application. Might be idle time, could be off-highway work, could be PTO/stationary work. One place I worked at we had a pair of mobile steam cleaning trucks. Both were early 2000's Western Stars with over 22,000 hours and less than 80,000km (yes you read those numbers right).

  9. #9Queenslander2017-11-30 05:18

    Gotcha 92U, Just looked at some other trucks at the same auction and they’re much the same as we would find here.

  10. #10Queenslander2017-12-02 05:19

    Looks like these trucks brought excellent money despite the higher hours Canadian Digger.

  11. #11Canadian_digger2017-12-02 09:08

    The t800 was very rusty. Seen a lot of Canadian winter so I passed on that one. The Western Star went way over budget. So the search continues. Thank you everyone for your input.