I am in charge of ordering e new truck for my school district . It will be replacing a 1999 F450 with 20K miles that is completely rusted out. The truck will spend it life on the property with an occasional 10 mile trip Home Depot. It's primary use will be to plow snow and move stuff between buildings. I'm thinking a gas motor would do better with the short trips and never getting highway use but have concerns that the V10........Just did some research and looks like the V10 is no longer available and they have a new 7.3 liter. With cost differences aside what would recommend?
Get the smallest gas engine you can, with appropriate rear end ratio. Maybe not smallest, but not the biggest either. Supposedly the worst of the diesel lemons were around 2010, but don't take any chances. Even school buses are being made with gas motors, maybe not needed anymore, but once bitten, twice shy.
Gas for sure. Modern diesels are fine if they're worked hard consistently. But if it's short hops and lots of idling, I would bet the diesel would give you trouble in fairly short order.
Nothing weighs enough at Home Depot to warrant a F550 going there, a F350 would get the job done too. Though I would say gas engine too. I'm sure the extra trip in gas for second pallet of concrete "if that ever happens" that would fit on F550 that a F350 couldn't hold is cheaper than the F550. Gas engine is my opinion
Gas for sure.
Gas. Might be able to find a good deal on a left over 19 with a 6.2 and six speed. Maybe an F350 SRW with a 9,990 gvwr to stay under the DOT radar? I'm not sure how it works on CT. In AK, if we stay under 14,000 gvrw, we don't need medical exam certificate or DoT numbers.
Replacing a 21 year old truck with 20K miles that is rusted out - I'd go with gas. With that little usage why spend the premium for a diesel. And I'm a pro-diesel guy.
My opinion. I would keep the rusty snowplow truck with only 20,000 miles for plowing snow. If its rusted that bad, screw some tin on over the worst rust holes so you don't fall out. Have the school buy a used 1/2 ton truck for the few trips you make to Home Depot. For that once in a while big item let Home Depot deliver it. Then you don't have to unload it. Tell the school district to spend the +$70,000 you saved on education. We all know the kids need it.
Does the school district have a Vocational School in the area? See if you can work a deal to have them do some body work on the rusty truck. If the kids are going to be getting into doing body work in your area they need to know how to deal with rust! Not all body work involves bolting on new sheet metal on shinny new cars!
My vote is for gas as well. 1,000 miles a year its just not worth the extra coin up front. Not to mention the higher maintenance costs that are associated with the diesel. Diesels love to be loaded up and have the snot ran out of them. It won't like idling around the property with a snowplow on front.
Thanks for all the replies. The old F450 is a few years beyond repair, frame rusted throughout, plow frame fell off with no metal left to weld to, oil pan rusted through, not to mention the cab, tires, brakes and brake lines.....the reason for the F550 is we want a 10' plow. When it snows we have to act quick in a limited amount of time to get the buildings open.
What is the difference in price from a 450 to a 550? FYI there is around a $1,000 difference between a SRW 250 and 350 however the difference in suspension is dramatic, well worth the extra grand.
A modern F350 drw can handle nearly as much weight as a 99 F550. I own both. And I'm a hard core diesel guy, especially the 444 (7.3) powerstroke. We own 4. Save the taxpayers money. Buy an F350 drw XL with vinyl seats and a gasser. I'd avoid that new 7.3 gasser until it's been out for a year. The old V8 was fine. Maybe you can get a 2019 model and save more.
That's federal. Thank the BushClintonObamaContinuum
Gasoline... All current diesels over 75 Hp require DEF. DEF has a shelf life of about a year and requires a tank heater below 12 degrees F to prevent freezing. Your Location, 12 degrees or less is a possibility. A truck that sits most of the time will have a dead battery most of the time. New diesels have many EPA design restrictions that out weigh former diesel advantages.
Why do you need a f550 for a 10 foot blade? We have a fisher XLS on 99 f350 and it does just fine. I.would not want a drw truck to plow snow its just too wide to be fast. If you have to go on any long trips or load it up really heavy then just take the blade off it only takes 2 minutes. The problem we have with all the new trucks is the reverse is too short. The old 7.3 ford will go as fast as you dare in reverse but the new trucks just dont.
I'm Supervisor of Buildings & Grounds for a local municipality and am spec'cing a very similar truck but I'm waiting for the F600 to become available. We don't put on very many miles either and I'll be ordering the 7.3 V8. We have a 2019 550 with the V10 and it's working out fine but the new V8 is supposed to have more torque and the reviews are very positive. I'm curious to see how the 10 speed transmission works out. The diesel just doesn't make any sense for my operation. I'd specify a stainless dump body if you're using it for spreading salt otherwise it will rust like your last one. I'll be spec'cing a SaltDogg spreader, they're all poly and stainless and virtually rust free.
Without derailing this thread; State of Alaska passed HB271 effective 2018 to help out the service industry. Thanks to the AK Trucking Association. Fortunately, most commercial operators don't have to worry about FMCSA interstate rules because we don't often have to cross state lines. "For purposes of commercial vehicle regulation and inspection, HB271 raises the weight threshold on intra state commercial vehicles from 10,000 pounds, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) to 14,000 pounds GVWR for inspection and safety regulation purposes. This is aimed at the small contractors, i.e. lawn care, carpenters, plumbing & heating, small delivery vehicles and pilot cars." Our HOS rules are different, too. FMCSA allows a 15 hour driver time window and 20 hour duty time window.
I'm not far from you, I'm just below Brewster at the North Salem Schools. This truck will get a flatbed and lift gate. I really am over due for two trucks. our dump truck is an early 90's Chevy lowboy dump. Hopefully the next budget cycle they will be able to keep another truck in it and I'll replace the dump truck. I'd like to keep the sander off the rackbody.
I have a 95 3500HD with under 60,000 miles on it in good shape, it doesn't go out in the winter. I'm replacing a 2005 GMC 3500 dump because both the dump body and cab floor are gone, it's set up for plowing and salting. It wasn't cared for well before I came on and has just over 50,000 miles. I'll be looking to replace a 2003 Chevy 2500 next year, the cab floor is gone on that one too. Another plow truck. I'll be washing the new ones regularly, hopefully they'll last longer.