Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Intermittent no change from 4 to 5

Pony · 2020-03-02 15:51

Hey guys, truck is a Iveco Eurocargo, box is a ZF 9speed manual with synchromesh . Only 80,000km on vehicle from new. Intermittently won't go into 5 coming after range change from 4. After it won't go to 5 I can grab 6 or if I double clutch I can grab 5. First thought was #5 synchro, but then was able to downshift from 6 to 5 with no dramas. No noises/smells/power losses and had to get home so kept driving. Seemed like every second or third 4-5 shift would refuse but every 6-5 shift would be good. Every other shift in the box is fine. Can it be the synchro if it shifts down ok? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Pony2020-03-05 03:08

    Took it to the dealer today, truck hasn't been driven since getting it home Sunday night. Bout an hour drive to the dealer, shifted fine to 5th the whole way in. They drove it and said there's nothing wrong with it, I said at the moment no there's not. Apparently they dug a bit deeper and said shift cables and synchro are fine. So I have no idea why it was doing what it did. It wasn't grinding into 5th it was just like the gate wasn't there. Anyway see what the next trip brings. Thanks To anyone considering an Iveco truck, my advice is not to. Very nice truck to drive, it's just going to send me broke keeping it on the road.

  2. #2Nige2020-03-05 09:50

    I think the clue is in what you commented about double de-clutching to make shifts. I've driven a number of European brands over the years and despite all of them having synchromesh boxes some definitely preferred double de-clutching when shifting (especially on certain specific shifts) where with others it made no difference whatsoever. If double de-clutching makes the problem go away I suggest that you make that your SOP.

  3. #3Pony2020-03-06 01:30

    Thanks for the reply Nigel. I don't know mate, I've done 20,000km in the truck now and never had it refuse a shift. It just felt like something wasn't right, I tried to narrow it down to a specific circumstance that night, e.g. tried skip shifting etc, but it appeared random and only on the shift up to 5th. (Road Ranger pattern) Anyway I'll be going again in another couple of days so I'll see if it returns . As an aside question I have been told that double clutching a synchro box is not a good practice, apparently hard on synchro's. I'm not a mechanic or a truck driver and have no idea, you obviously don't have an issue with it? Any further thoughts? Thanks

  4. #4Nige2020-03-07 11:49

    I'm not a truck expert, I just drive 'em every so often. You need to ask someone like Truck Shop, RZucker, or Petepilot regarding your question. I grew up in the crash box era and was taught by my grandad to always double de-clutch as an SOP when shifting. When I moved from crash boxes to synchro I just kept shifting the same way. Never gave it a second thought TBH, but that does not mean to say that I'm doing it the right way.

  5. #5Truck Shop2020-03-07 17:51

    Actually I'm not a truck expert, just a #3 grease monkey. If double clutching works then stay with that. But I do have a pair of special double clutching boots that I bought at a yard sale in case some one needs a pair [size 10 1/2 D].

  6. #6Pony2020-03-07 23:34

    Thanks gents. I to learnt to drive trucks with crash boxes double clutching. Then when I finally got into synchro boxes I kept changing the same way and was told not to, as I explained above. Can't remember who told me now it was so long ago, so didn't know how much credence to put into the advice. Like I said another trip coming up soon, I'll try no double clutching to see if the problem returns and if so might take your advice and double clutch and ignore it. Thanks again and will update in time.

  7. #7Nige2020-03-08 12:21

    I don't necessarily believe everything I read on the internet but this is kinda interesting.......

  8. #8kenh2020-03-08 12:58

    Yuo, sychro tranny;s fall into gear so easy with double clutching. One crime against the tranny is pushing into gear before synchros are aligned.

  9. #9mitch5042020-03-08 15:07

    Yeah, I can't see how double clutching could be bad for synchronizers. You are simply taking most of the load off of them. My guess is, that was started by somebody who didn't understand how they worked.

  10. #10Nige2020-03-08 15:26

    A bit like the “rule” that you shouldn’t feed chocolate to dogs. I personally believe that was started by cats.......

  11. #11RZucker2020-03-08 15:29

    Yep, Cooper got into three big Hershey bars and merely burped and went looking for more. Of course it was the cat that pushed them off the table.

  12. #12Pony2020-03-08 18:11

    That's good enough for me gents, appreciate your input.