Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gas Strut need help

AU.CASE · 2026-05-15 04:39

Our backhoe's cab struts have become weak and I couldn't find a good match at a local distributor, so bought a firm pair that were 2" longer. To fit them just now I compressed them with this tie down strap and some help, door opens really well. There is 1.25" of stem left before the end coupler when the door is closed and I am going to see how they are in the morning before I sit in there (paranoid = ok ) ! They are 600NM and the only match in the length at the distributor was 300NM, (at that only one available) where I have found the previous aftermarket ones (not sure of rating there, can't read it) would not hold the door away on a slope which is a nuisance, but these ones should. Will they be ok compressed a bit?

Replies5
  1. #1HarleyHappy2026-05-15 11:25

    Sure they will, just not sure why you don’t just put them in? I go through a few struts a yin the winter and have found the 25 LB to work well on my Case door. Always keep a spare on hand.

  2. #2AU.CASE2026-05-15 18:10

    Yes, thx, fitted yesterday and will go out soon and check them, should be ok as you say. Its a nuisance when they go weak, especially on a high side slope.

  3. #3edgephoto2026-05-15 20:29

    I replace both on my machine. I have not used my machine much since I replaced them. Probably 20 times the door was opened, at most. One of them was dead already. Annoying

  4. #4HarleyHappy2026-05-16 10:53

    Really annoying, when it’s 10 degrees out and it keeps closing as you’re trying to get your ass out or in. Some gas struts I get 3 years out of them, some I get 3 months.

  5. #5Bote2026-05-19 21:21

    I replaced mine on 4/2021 with this one from Stevens Lake Parts. Says they're for a series 2 or 3 but it fit my series 1 fine and has lasted 5 years. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264586216858