Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gasket ideas for axle/drive chain housing:

Zap921 · 2018-07-03 11:56

I have a Prime Mover L1300 skid steer. Probably late 80's, early 90's. Lost power to left side and found that the key had sheared on the drivemotor shaft. Getting ready to put everything back together after draining all the oil / cleaning the oil sump area. The gaskets on the two axle housings are degraded and need replaced. No OEM gaskets available. The axle housings have slotted holes for adjustment of the chain. So, do I try to make some gaskets or do you think, being careful with install using RTV and getting the chain tension right and bolting down would work. Kinda big gaskets and just wanted some opinions. Thanks, Nick

Replies12
  1. #1DIYDAVE2018-07-03 20:02

    I'd prolly get a roll of the appropriate thickness cork, and make them. Use the boxes for templates, take a ball peen hammer, and use the ball end, to tap along the holes, to cut them out, and the flat face to cut the edges. Not hard work, just a little time consuming. I've seen 12 pack boxes used, steada cork!

  2. #2Zap9212018-07-03 20:45

    Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the input and the tip on using the ball peen hammer. Do you think that gasket material made by Victor Reinz, JV101, 1/32". Gray felt like material for oil pans etc. with good resistance to oil would be a good substitute? Or a brand recommendation on the rolled cork.

  3. #3DIYDAVE2018-07-03 21:20

    really there is no oil pressure, on the boxes, so as long as the stiff is cut right, and applied well, shouldn't be much of a problem... As for brand, I just used what I can find local, and cheap. Gotta whole roll of 1/8" cork, up in the barn, that cost all of a dollar, at an auction, can't tell ya how many sediment bowl gaskets I've punched out, through the years...

  4. #4td25c2018-07-03 21:22

    If its a cover that I would remove for inspection often I would take the time to make a gasket . If not would go with the Permatex Optimum ….. https://www.permatex.com/new-permatex-optimum-gasket-makers/ We used the " Grey " on the Ford 302 intake around the water ports & ends . Tossed the cork end gaskets out that came with the kit . No leaks

  5. #5Zap9212018-07-03 21:53

    Thanks DIYDAVE and td25c. The center inspection hole would be good choice for cork. I would like to do the axle housings with RTV but I keep thinking about the integrity of the seal with having to adjust the chain tension prior to tightening down the plate and possibly smearing the RTV. Or am I over thinking that part of the job?

  6. #6td25c2018-07-03 22:30

    Overthinking it

  7. #7Zap9212018-07-04 07:46

    Thanks again for the input.... Appreciate it!

  8. #8td25c2018-07-04 08:09

    Spotted some 18" x 36" gasket material at summit . https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/fel-pro-gasket-sheets Would that be big enough to make the gasket out of ? Feller could glue the gasket to the machine side & leave the drive housing side dry for future adjustment .

  9. #9Zap9212018-07-04 09:18

    Can't get all three out of one sheet since the outer two are 12" tall and the inspection plate taller than that. Think I'm going to try what you suggested and make the inspection plate from gasket material and try RTV on the axle housings. Fingers crossed that it goes ok with the RTV.

  10. #10phil3142018-07-04 10:23

    My 2 rules for this sort of thing: 1. If it originally had a gasket, then use a gasket. If it had RTV, then use RTV. 2. Or I usually use RTV on things I hope are going to stay sealed for a long while. Anything that gets inspected/removed/moved gets a gasket. In this case, I'd probably cut gaskets for all 3.

  11. #11repowerguy2018-07-04 13:30

    You can make a gasket out of two pieces of material if you carefully make a scarf or a cleft joint. If you do that, you’ll have to glue it with RTV to the cover.

  12. #12Zap9212018-07-04 15:02

    Was really considering piecing the gasket together like that with no oil pressure and all. Decisions, Decisions..........