Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gates 3000B Hose Crimper making your own hoses.

Roadoil · 2024-01-31 11:58

So I bought this Gates 3000B hose crimper quite awhile back haven't used it yet. I bought after market hose off eBay some OE crimp fittings Parker some aftermarket. What's the best way to determine the crimp specs ? look at old hose use caliper ? Select die in that range? Do you get one shot at the crimp or can you crimp further if necessary adjusting tighter on settings These aftermarket crimps doesn't have specs. I have a bunch of hydraulic hoses I need made, one machine a hydro demolition robot most all hoses bad that's 80 hoses. They are JIC 4 hoses about 6' long with female fittings the cheapest bulk price made locally was $35 I can make them $7. I need 2 JIC 12 hoses 5 feet for my backhoe $190 each I can make them $30. I also need a 3/8 ID JIC 6 hose 30 feet for my Skytrak 10k, hose shop over $200 I can make it $36 to give idea of cost savings. The 80 hoses alone saving $29 each more than paid for this used crimper with 15 dies.

Replies12
  1. #1MarcusZ19672024-01-31 12:20

    Are your dies color coded on that?

  2. #2Roadoil2024-01-31 12:25

    No nothing that fancy they have numbers stamped on them and you look in gates info that gives the size.

  3. #3Roadoil2024-01-31 12:29

    This is the die info from gates.

  4. #4f311fr12024-01-31 13:17

    You need to use SAE spec hose and Gates fittings. The Gates web site has crimp specs.

  5. #5Roadoil2024-01-31 13:30

    Yeah that's true but with Gates Crimpers they are crimp to diameter you chose. So you can use any brand hose and crimp fittings. I have aftermarket Parker fittings and some OE.

  6. #6MarcusZ19672024-01-31 14:51

    Here is the KarryKrimp die chart that shows Max/Min on some fittings. We use mostly 43 series.

  7. #7Roadoil2024-01-31 14:52

    Ok

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-01-31 20:56
  9. #9HarleyHappy2024-02-01 09:42

    While there aren’t many good videos on You Tube, there are a few using Gates crimpers and fittings. I have a Eaton Weatherhead Crimper.

  10. #10Roadoil2024-02-01 09:58

    Yes usually the 707 gates. The 3000b I think is long discontinued but had much more crimp force and double the size crimp ability.

  11. #11FirstEliminator2024-09-27 16:15

    Late to the game here. You can go to https://ecrimp.gates.com/ I have both 3000b and 707 crimpers. I've done a few hydraulic hose videos, but none with the 3000b...yet. The 3000b takes more effort to use than a 707. I only use the 3000b for big hoses as it is easier being the top load. If you do many hoses, you might want to pick up a 707.

  12. #12FirstEliminator2024-09-27 17:41

    here are my hydraulic hose videos single wire hose: 4 wire hose: