Hello all - am a university student in Georgia and would really appreciate help to get some help on research project that I am working on. The research is to compare heavy equipment sales to regular retail especially purchasing on internet. There are 3-5 questions that could really help me to write an article on comparison. 1. Do you find used heavy equipment easily online - meaning on the internet? 2. What are the common places you look for purchasing used equipment? Craigslist? FB? Ebay?ironplanet.com? 3. Why do people prefer to buy on FB/Craigslist/ebay vs ironplanet/machinerymarketplace.net etc? 4. Who does a good job of selling heavy equipment online and why? Thank you all...
1. yes, I find it pretty easy on the internet. 2. Iron planet, Machinery trader, for somethings I use CL, Ebay. 3. I will look for attachments sometimes on CL or Ebay. I don't typically look for anything real substantial on those two. Mostly because I don't trust items or the seller on those sites enough to buy anything of real value. 4. I think people look to those sites (Ebay, CL) to find a better deal. Most other sites, the prices end up closer to actual value of the item. When an individual is directly selling something, the prices tend to be lower. 5. I think Machinery trader does the best. Excellent website, Excellent ability to filter what you want and where (geographically) you want to buy from. Iron Planet does a good job, but to be honest, I think it was better before RB bought them out (it certainly was cheaper).
Machinery Trader is the best and I think probably the "gold standard" for online machinery. The entrance bar for listing there is fairly high (expensive), so it weeds out the nonsense. It also weeds out local direct sales, which is where FB or CL comes in.
There are a couple of Great Plains area (but expanding) online auctions. Big Iron and Purple Wave move a lot of equipment. And don't forget the 800lb gorilla, Richie Brothers.
Thank you so much!
Appreciate the answer. Thanks!