Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gates v belts

Welder Dave ยท 2022-09-06 23:45

I needed some new belts for my 3 pt. hitch mower. I've had to change them a couple times. The last belts were Kevlar and made by Pix in India. They seemed better at first but after some heavy cutting they just deteriorated and severely stretched. I decided to try some standard non kevlar Gates belts as I've read they are a very good belt. They cost about $35 more than I could have got the Pix kevlar so hopefully they last a long time. Does anyone have experience with Gates High Power II belts? They are B74 size belts.

Replies25
  1. #1_Weldman_2022-09-06 23:56

    If it ain't Gates belts I don't touch them here in the US, V belts or not.

  2. #2Tones2022-09-07 05:44

    Of all the industrial belt manufacturers Gates has to the pick of em IMHO.

  3. #3DMiller2022-09-07 05:56

    I stand behind Gates Belts as well. Odd or No Names are usually Foreign made and of less grade quality.

  4. #4Truck Shop2022-09-07 07:48

    Funny, all I stocked for truck belts was CAT when it came to V-belts. Outlasted the rest plus came as two for matched set.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2022-09-07 10:49

    OK, since we are on the subject: How do you measure a v-belt for length? Gates belts come with a number printed on them. But it never quite comes out right. I had a job with an unknown belt the other day and I just took 6 or 8 belts of all the lengths with me. I'll have to return the rest. I hate doing that to my vendors.

  6. #6mitch5042022-09-07 12:03

    If I remember right, it is around the outside circumference. If I remember wrong, it is something else entirely. Easy enough to check my memory I guess, run a tape around the outside of a NEW belt.

  7. #7_Weldman_2022-09-07 12:31

    Always been told to run a string around the pulleys to get a measurement which thus entails measurements are from both sides just outside will include thickness of the belt to final dimensions.. Instead of thinking of it as a thick round circle with two different circumferences think of it as a line, if you cut it and lay it flat it will be of same dimensions on both sides

  8. #8Welder Dave2022-09-07 23:57

    Kind of wierd they are measured around the outside but the number is based on the inside dimension. Outside is 77 inches and inside measurement on a B74 is 3 inches less.

  9. #9Legdoc2022-09-09 21:46

    I have always used Gates belts and hose which give excellent service.

  10. #10Tinkerer2022-09-09 22:10

    Yall need one of these.

  11. #11cfherrman2022-09-09 22:14

    Me too and from my local parts house they are super cheap. Have had good luck with dayco too but prefer gates

  12. #12willie592022-09-09 23:28

    In over 40 years of tinkering with stuff I've never seen a Gates product fail because it was crappy product, not once.

  13. #13Birken Vogt2022-09-09 23:44

    How does that work when the belt is in 5 pieces, none bigger than a shoe string?

  14. #14willie592022-09-10 00:00

    In that case you just have to say the obligatory...well damn!

  15. #151466IH2022-09-10 00:13

    I generally stick with oem belts if I can but use gates and continental regularly also

  16. #16cuttin edge2022-09-10 18:03

    Gates also makes the best snowmobile belts

  17. #17Truck Shop2022-09-10 19:32

    A guy I know has a permanent dark red line running down from top of forehead to his chin. Was looking/listening for a noise leaning over racing the engine. A piece of the belt snapped his face like a bull whip. Realistically any belt that will keep the accessory's turning---is a good belt.

  18. #18JLarson2022-09-11 02:02

    Gates and Dayco, We run a lot of the Gates green stripe belts on stuff with good results. We put a lot of Bando and Browning belts on fans, blowers and compressors too. Not a huge fan of Carlisle

  19. #19Coaldust2022-09-11 03:39

    Gates offers excellent training on their products. Great resource for apprentices and old dogs. Nice tools, too. I have their laser pulley alignment kit. Nice setup.

  20. #20Volvomad2022-09-27 15:18

    Find their automotive belts in a and z section better than any oem belt. Never found their b sections much above average. Bando or mitsuboshi would be well ahead in b. Use nothing other than gates hydraulic hose any more. Both hose and fittings are a1

  21. #21Welder Dave2022-09-27 16:41

    Why would their B belts be less quality? If it's the same model of belt, the construction should be the same between A and B or other section sizes.

  22. #22Volvomad2022-09-28 15:44

    Could not get b belts in the MC range like the a and z

  23. #23Birken Vogt2022-09-28 22:54

    Would somebody please explain what all the numbers and letters mean? Is there a difference between an automotive belt such as a 9360 and a cogged raw edge such as a AX360 for instance?

  24. #24Welder Dave2022-09-28 23:50

    I've seen belts with 2 sets of numbers, ie/ B** and 4L380 or something along those lines. On B belts the B is the section width then the number is the outside measurement. Just because I needed a B74, I discovered that the outside measurement is 3" longer. I wonder if they go by the inside measurement so it's easier to measure around the pulley's??? I'm not sure but I think someone told me automotive belts are generally higher speed and made to different/better standards then industrial belts. For some applications there are several different types of belts that can be used.

  25. #25Volvomad2022-09-29 19:06

    From my own little experience amd imagination, auto belts are designed to carry higher loads in smaller spaces so tend to have more cord and are not a stretch fit so should be idealy be paired. Some times i ask for more than what i need and pair them as best i can on the shop counter. Industrial belts usually stretch to tension equally. And loads of sheaves to carry any amount of power. Belt lenght is normally pitch lenght which i think is where the belt sits in the operational diameter of the pulley so some where in the middle of the belt section. Some metric belts use Li, La , or Lp for lenght.