Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

gearmatic winch td8e?

ragerider ยท 2018-04-18 09:45

So I found an international td8e with a gearmatic winch and I own a komatsu d32e and I know these machines are basically the same how difficult would it be to put the gearmatic winch on the d32? I'm familiar with the paccar and allied winches on larger dozers but know very little about gearmatic any thoughts?

Replies4
  1. #1g_man2018-04-18 10:18

    The only thought I have is that gearmatics that don't recieve fairly constant use and are allowed to sit idle can be very problematic when you try to use them again. Keeping it covered all the time helps. gg

  2. #2John C.2018-04-18 10:21

    I think it depends on which transmission was in the TD8E. I recall that there was an early and later unit which had different drive shaft placements when compared against the winch to main frame mounting bolts. The Germatic winches had dry clutches and brakes and the plates in the clutch were prone to getting stuck together in climates with a lot of moisture.

  3. #3MontanaMud2019-08-22 11:56

    I have read a lot on this forum but it is my first time posting...thanks to all help I have received without ever needing to post. I realize this post is a year old but I am looking at a Dresser TD-8E with a frozen winch. They said they never used it and left it uncovered. How difficult is it to get those going again? Is it just a simple cleanup or will I need to replace parts - and if I need parts are they hard to find? Any suggestions?

  4. #4John C.2019-08-22 13:20

    It's been years since I've even looked at one of those. As I recall the clutch disks will glue themselves together and lot of parts inside will rust up if not used from time to time. I would bet you have plenty of parts to replace. Perhaps someone with more recent experience will provide more information.