I have been looking for a used skid steer for the sole purpose of plowing my own driveway. I only have experience with Cat and Bobcat. I don't know anything about the Gehl brand. I found this 2005 4640 in my own town with a FS sign on it. All I know until the owner gets back to me is it needs a new bucket, has one flat tire and a small fluid leak under the engine. It has a heated cab and hydraulic attachment up front for accessories. The bucket has rot holes in it. I think it was used to load salt. The rims are pretty rusty as well but the rubber looks decent. Curious if anyone has any experience with these and have suggestions what to look at when I actually go to look at it
Better pay to get an Engine and hydraulic running sample for less than $100 or who knows what could be hidden. Good idea to raise the cab to see if any surprises under. A good inspection is better than the pain later. If you can do it yourself perfect, if not you could buy a disaster without a decent inspection. Ask for maintenance records. If it was in lots of salt, lots of bolts will break before coming out. Just a few things to think about. Simon C
Still waiting to hear back. When I found it on Sunday afternoon, the condition of the bucket caught my eye like it's out of place The tires look decent even though one is flat. The rims do have some surface rust but in no way match the condition of the bucket. I did swing open the engine compartment and it looked better then I expected. I'm kind of suspecting the bucket was swapped out from something else
Gehl 40 series are solid. Deutz engines will go forever with timing belt changes (and maybe the occasional head gasket). Definitely check if the leak is actually from the engine or if it's hydraulic oil.
Just finished a job on a 2002 John Deere 280B with brakes stuck on. Final outcome ! Machine with 2198HRS is a complete right off as traction motors are toast. Brake pistons are junk and need complete disassembly to repair. Not worth fixing. What is wrong with the one you are looking at. Oil samples, Thorough inspection and maybe some pressure tests including case drain tests would go way further than an eyeball inspection. In my opinion anyways. Simon C
Still have not gotten a reply from the seller I'm going to swing by today or tomorrow. I do know that it's got 1,740 hours on the clock
Not unusual to swap a junk bucket on a machine that a company is getting rid of if the sale price doesn't go back into their budget. Save a few hundred to cost thousands, but it's not their money maybe. Even a rotted out bucket will work fine for snow, unless you want a wide higher capacity bucket, or a snow pusher.
Plowing my driveway with my 1 ton was never a problem until last winter. I used to plow my way in and push all the snow from the driveway as far back in the back yard as I could. Problem now, there's a new garage where my snow piles would be. My thought was if I had a skid steer, I could scoop up the snow and put it where I would normally not be able to push it with a truck. It's not the end of the world if I don't get one this winter but finding this one local jarred my memory of last winters struggle running out of room to push snow
Finally have something. Was handed the keys this afternoon. got access to the cab. I don't think the bucket was swapped from something else because the front of the cab where the bolts are that you remove to raise the cab is all rusty. I think from people stepping there while entering with salt on their shoes. Fortunately, that area and the bucket seem to be the only rough spots. It fired right up without delay and without a hint of smoke. It has the Gehl T bar controls. The right hand t bar raises and curls the bucket normally but was a bit stiff from sitting. The left T bar controls forward, backward and turning that seemed to work as well but a little stiffer then the other side. It's been sitting unused for about 4 years and only used to help clean the yard. Because it's been unused, it hasn't been serviced for a couple of years. I think getting those bolts out and raise the cab for the first time will be a struggle. I think if the skid plates were removed so it could be pressure washed, service it and lube all the controls, it would be fine. Asking price is $8,900.00 which is way cheaper then anything else within reasonable distance
this is the beastie
Looks like a solid buy. A little rust is not the end of the world but definitely get it washed out sooner than later to remove any lingering salt and prevent any further corrosion.
That control configuration is not called t-bar. For 8900 I'll come and get it. That rust will be gone after the first load of gravel you play with. You could use that machine for 5 years and still sell it for 8900. Small leaks from hoses are not deal breakers, relatively easy and cheap to replace a hose if needed.
I beg to differ. There are rot holes the size of tennis balls so the bucket needs to be replaced. All the gravel in the world would correct that The front cab corners where the bolts are that you remove to tilt the cab is also badly rotted. I plan to cut that out and replace it. I was unable to loosen the bolts to tilt the cab. Was told it's been 2-3 years since it's been open. I'm probably going to have to cut the heads off with a torch. I don't know the condition of the chassis under the rotted cab parts. I'll be taking a gamble on that.
No pics?
Probably buying it today. I swung by yesterday to write down the VIN number so I could check it's status on line. I was unable to locate it. I checked inside the cab and engine compartment and all around the exterior. I checked on line for the location. Older models under the left arm and newer models under the right. Do the arms have to be up to see it??? I was told that it's a 2005. In the engine compartment there is a sticker from the engine manufacturer. On the bottom left corner it says 2011. When I was there last, I was told it had not been serviced for 2-3 years. I pulled the dipstick to check the oil and it was full and the cleanest used diesel engine oil I've ever seen. I pulled the cap off the valve cover and it was spotless. Both of my diesel pickups (GMC and Ford) are black shortly after the oil has been changed. The right hand T-bar moves pretty freely but the left hand one is stiff. I'm hoping that after pulling the skid plate to clean it out and lubing all the pivot /mechanical connections resolve that. I'm not sure I like the T-bar. That will take some getting used to. I was thinking that if after lubing up all the controls, If I can get it to move free enough, cut the T off and install a pistol grip. That would be much easier on the wrist.
Do skid steers have titles? The biggest piece of equipment I have is a commercial lawn mower bought new but no title.
No, there's no title with any off road equipment that I've ever heard of/seen. The best you can do is get the serial number, and see if your banker can do a UCC lien lookup for you. Everything goes on the serial number.
If the inside of valve cover was too clean, suspect diesel leaking in system washing everything. Good to get an oil sample. Simon C
I think he's to busy to bother with my request to prove clear UCC and I can't do it because the number provided to me is incorrect or incomplete. Supposed to be a 17 digit VIN they only provided 14. I'm sure they've owned it since new and there is most likely no loan debt owed but there's other reasons to have a lien on it like tax debt or more likely could be listed as collateral for a loan or line of credit. When I pressed for more information, was immediately given the cold shoulder. So no sale today. I believe all that is required is a UCC form 3 (Release form) then both he and the prospective buyer are covered.
Follow up. I decided to take a chance on it. Called him the morning following my last post and someone beat me to it.