Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gehl 5635 SXT II auxiliary hydraulics don’t reverse.

wbaker ยท 2009-06-17 16:42

New owner of Gehl 5635 SXT II. I'm very happy using a Gehl 609 backhoe to clear undergrowth from a stand of trees. Works wonderfully! However, borrowed a grapple bucket yesterday and things went badly. Connected the aux hydraulics (standard, I don't have high flow) and activated the auxiliary hydraulics with the foot rocker pedal, depressing on the right. It was difficult to depress just as it had been with the backhoe. This caused the grapple bucket to fully open and the engine began to lug. I stepped on the rocker pedal to depress the left side but it would only return to center/horizontal which stopped the hydraulic flow but the bucket could not be closed. The owner's manual implies that the rocker pedal should change the direction of flow but it seems impossible to press into reverse and is difficult to move in any case (I have to stand on the thing). The previous owner says he's only used the backhoe and a breaker and neither required any reverse flow so he's at a loss. 1) Is this machine dual flow and how can one determine that? 2) Where (generally) is the pedal adjustment for the force needed to activate the auxiliary hydraulics or is this a cable dirty/pinched problem? The operator and parts manuals are of little help and I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can at least tell me what's what. My nearest dealer says to bring it in and he'll look but that's easier said than done, particularly if I can make minor adjustments in the field.

Replies4
  1. #1wbaker2009-06-18 13:32

    More Information I was wrong about the operator's manual. It includes a schematic for the hydraulic system. Using that and an Internet search gave me the auxiliary hydraulics valve type: a 4 port, 3 position, lever operated, self centered, pressure held neutral. This also means the standard auxiliary hydraulics on this machine are bi-directional/dual actuated/yada yada. Now, the primary suspects for the failure are 1) Cable dirty/pinched or 2) some mechanical interference. I'll try to look at the machine before today is out. Does anyone know the procedure to tilt the rops to get at the hydraulics on the Gehl 5635?

  2. #2bill onthehill2009-06-18 18:21

    Check that the stop under the rocker pedal has not been turned up to lock out the return function. to raise the cab on my 4640 is 2 big bolts up front and tilt it on up. Gehl is pretty easy to work on.

  3. #3wbaker2009-06-19 11:45

    Solved - and thanks! Bill, Thank you for your advise. I did manage to lift the cab by removing the bolts in front. The only difficulty in that respect was LOWERING the cab. Took two hefty men to drag it down but it is done now. The suggestion about a lock-out was nearly spot on. It was NOT the lock-out but the previous owner had well over-tightened the rocker pedal assembly. This resulted in the need to actually stand on it to activate the forward auxiliary hydraulics, which was fine for backhoe and breaker work. To test I did the following: 1) raised cab and noted movement of lever arm at valve as I tried to depress the rocker pedal (it was only moving in the forward actuation direction which is "pulling" on the lever arm), 2) removed the retaining pin of the lever arm at the valve and manually moved the lever arm (which had full, easy movement in both directions. That way, I knew it was in the pedal/cable side. Next, I loosened the nut that holds the pedal assembly together. It was VERY tight and I was encouraged that it was the problem. After loosening, cleaning, and lubricating the pedal assembly, I could move it fully in both directions with my hand. I reconnected the lever arm, lowered the cab, attached the grapple bucket and went to work. Hope this helps someone else.

  4. #4dmwarnke2010-09-09 22:17

    Adding Aux Hydraulics Hi I am adding aux hydraulics to my 4525 to drill some post holes. The parts book shows a 3/4" hose and a 1/2" hose off the main valve to the aux valve. I can follow the hoses on the stock parts diagram but i'm not using the stock valve. Which hose goes to the input of my aux valve? Thanks