Hi folks, My name is Pete. First post here. I have a conundrum I was hoping the more experienced might be able to help me with. I have a Gehl CTL80 with a seized engine. It's on a trailer that's too big to get in the door of my shop, so I need to get it off the trailer. I was hoping to use my mule (it's just a hydraulic take-off from my forklift) to get the Gehl to move. I don't have to move it very far, and it's going to be slooow, I know. That's ok. Can anyone suggest where I might connect pressure and return to get this 10K LB pig to move? I surely appreciate the help
I would just drag it with your forklift.....some sand where the tracks will drag would help. You could also try placing half sheets of plywood under each track too. I think the idea of powering the hydraulics with the forklift could work but the amount of time it will take to make lines and adapters and figure out how to plumb it in, you could just drag it in and get to work
Back years ago when we would winch dead skid steers onto our trailer we'd grease it up so they'd slide on. Similar to the sand or plywood idea. Maybe some car dollies or heavy machinery skates under would help it roll.....
Good ideas all around! I would drag it with the forklift, but that thing is an old 2T, and this thing weighs 5T. They (the customer) were working a job about 100 miles south of me when it died, and had to use a Cat 950 to get it on the trailer The tracks would not turn, they had to drag it about 100 yards. I like the idea of dollies or the like. My only problem with that is, where I would have to unload it, it's gravel. Outside the door of my shop is owned by the county and they just put gravel out there. So I'm kinda stuck with getting my own 950 or rigging this thing to power itself.
Can you pull the axle or gears out of the planetary hub so it will roll free? I'm not totally familiar with that machine but most can be opened up from outside....
I suppose I could just take the bolts out of the sprockets and let them sort of "free wheel" on the motor housings. That would get the track to turn. My hesitation with the "drag it off" method is, what if I get stuck half way? Or what if I can't get it turned the way I need it to get in the door? Then I'm screwed. So, I'm really looking for a method that will allow the thing to move under it's own. That's safer anyway. I have an email into Gehl and to a few local Gehl dealers asking the same thing. At the end of the day, if I can't get this pig off the trailer, I have to give the job to someone else. And I probably have to do that by the end of today
If you know anyone else with a skid steer or a mini excavator you should be able to get it done. Put plywood over the stone in front of your shop to limit the damage and have at it. I dragged a dead CTL70 from out of the woods and up an incline with a 10000lb mini in the fall, and shoved it up some trailer ramps. Plus if you can borrow another machine you could always grade out the stone again
Funny how things change. I just found out that the engine is new (less than 8 hours). So it's more than likely under warranty from Yanmar. So now I find myself in the middle of a pissing match between the owner of the machine, Martin Diesel (engine supplier, long block), and the guy who installed it (not me). It's not even 9:00 and this is the kind of day I'm having. I need to un-screw myself out of this mess asap. I'll let you know how it goes
Run as fast as you can.....nobody is going to come out on top of this deal....
Hah! Dude came this morning and picked it up. Out of my face