Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gehl CTL80 grease fitting

SDTN ยท 2016-01-08 20:18

Can anyone tell me the thread pitch for a grease fitting I can' get a metric 10-1 to work.

Replies9
  1. #1mitch5042016-01-08 21:38

    If it's close to 10mm, it's probably 1/8 pipe, if it's smaller, it's probably 1/4-28

  2. #2willie592016-01-08 22:01

    Grease fittings come in three different thread types, 1) SAE, which is typically 1/8" NPT or 1/4-28 threads, 2) Metric, such as the 10mm-1.0 pitch that you mentioned, and 3) BPST, such as 1/8" BPST, with the BPST being probably the hardest to find from suppliers.

  3. #3lantraxco2016-01-08 23:16

    Willie has a stash tho... don't ask me how I know! LOL

  4. #4willie592016-01-08 23:32

    LoL, yes I do, thanks to you, genuine Japanese BPST grease fittings! :drinkup

  5. #5lantraxco2016-01-09 00:18

    LOL, just goes to show Dad was wrong, I am NOT totally worthless after all! :tong

  6. #6Homemade2016-01-10 19:33

    Don't forget the drive type, set with a hammer.

  7. #7DB22016-01-10 20:17

    And the tiny ones with a 5\16 hex. Common in U joints and Heim connections. Not sure of the threads

  8. #8mitch5042016-01-10 21:38

    Those are the 1/4-28s, mostly

  9. #9willie592016-01-10 21:58

    Yep, I didn't bother mentioning them because SDTN was inquiring about thread pitch, but good point nevertheless. I'm not familiar with Gehl machines and what fittings they use, but most machinery pretty much works with 1/8" NPT, the smaller 1/4"-20, and the 1/8" BSPT, I rarely see "metric" fittings on machinery. A number of folks confuse BSPT with metric, but they're not metric, they're British pipe thread, different thing altogether than metric.