I need to refill my Gehl 6635 Series II and have purchased the Tractor Supply brand Hydraulic/Tractor fluid. I guessed this would be better than the standard 46 grade hydraulic fluid because both the hydraulics and hydrostatic uses the same fluid. Would you run the tractor fluid or get straight 46 hydraulic fluid?
I believe the fluid I have is also referred to as UTF. Not sure if that helps identify whether it would work in my application or not.
I have 2000 5635 gehl skid steer I looked in my book the hydraulic oil calls for a certain kind it has to have anti rust anti foam and anti oxidation additives and it has to conform to ISO VG46 . By what my book says I would not just dump in any kind of hydraulic oil. I would search the internet to find the proper hydraulic oil. The information that I put down is for a 5635 gehl skid steer might call for something different in yours. According to the information in the book the oil is specific if you do not use the oil that is recommended it could cause damage to the skid steer. hope this helps scott
They have ISO VG46 at tractor supply as well but I was under the impress that is only appropriate for pure hydraulics. What about the wheel motors and things that move in a circular motion? Does UTF cross over to ISO VG46?
Tractor Supply carries the high spec. hyd oil under their traveller brand. it meets spec for all the major equipment mfgs transmission & hyd systems. I'm not sure what they call it but the info is printed on the label. It costs more than the super s oil they promote and put on sale all the time.
I will have to check that out. I am almost certain I am supposed to run this tractor fluid because my machine only have 1 hydraulic tank but ill look.
Update: I put 3 pails of tractor supply universal tractor hydraulic fluid. This was also the first start with the new BF4M1011F engine installed. All is well and the machine is precise enough to pick up a pencil! Thanks all
The UTF that you are using is should work well for you if it is a quality brand . We used that at our shop here for years until Gehl recommended that we switch to Klodike MV46 or similar conforming to ISO VG46 for warranty purposes .
Thanks. Yeah so far so good with the Tractor Supply Premium Universal Tractor Fluid. Real quiet so far but time will tell. I put 15 gallons in there but once I started it the fluid is no longer showing in the sight glass. I assume it should come to around middle of there? So I am probably short a hair. The filter indicator is also indicating a replacement so I'll have to top up the fluid and do a new filter tonight. Just wanted to make sure it should have fluid up into the sight glass.
The fluid should come halfway up the glass with the loader down and the bucket flat ,when machine is cold .
Thanks @skidloadertech. One last question - I promise! I will PM you!
Well it is a little cloudy in the fluid. When I swapped out the filter I noticed it was a little cloudy and now that the fluid level is up to the sight glass I can see its cloudy but not crazy milky. I am hoping I can drop the fluid out and replenish with new fluid and not have to drain lines because theres no way I can get to everything that has a hose to it!
I've owned bunches of Gehl 35 and 40 series...esp the 56xx. Many of them come from the factory with a cloudy greenish/yellowish hue to the hydro fluid. We use the traveler's premium from TSC with no problems. Friend of mine has almost 7k hours on his...original drive motors.
and pumps.
Yes that is exactly it - a cloudy greenish hue. Well I drained out about 15 gallons and will be replacing with fresh TSC Premium Tractor Fluid tomorrow. Also ANOTHER new filter just because. Lets see if it goes greenish again or stays oil colored.
Hey Swanny long time no here from. I got a job you might be interested in, its around fredrick, don't know how far you travel... It involves a skid loader front mounted mower, don't know if you have one... Dave