hey hey Does anyone have experience with the newer gehl excavators? Theres a friend that works at a local dealership with a used gehl 383Z and some new gehl machines. Seem to be very reasonable priced, Wondering if their that way for a particular reason or it's because there just not a popular brand. Marc
Can't really help with your question But have to write I've seen a few around here and thought they seemed pretty decent also, and fair priced.
They are actually made in Germany or at least designed there, they are actually rebranded Wacker Neuson excavators. I talked to a salesman about them, I also found out that Wacker Neuson has a dealership now out here and they had pretty competitive prices as well I think they have Yanmar engines. I didn't demo one myself so I couldn't tell you if they are at all a decent machine.
In my experience german stuff is usually pretty good. Would be nice if there is someone on here who has one or operated one.
Sorry I've only tried out the Terex/Schaeff line and liked how they put the boom cylinder on the back of the boom. I've been on a couple machines where inexperienced operators have damaged or even bent the boom cylinder.
Best I can offer is that it was a Gehl I rented that convinced me to buy a mini. I too couldn't find any real info/history here in the S.F.Bay Area and when I found this forum,Takeuchi was given high praise. I liked the tilt cab,don't know how useful it really is.And it's been so long I can't really give any comparisons. The Gehl was a newer machine in very good condition while the TB016 I bought really earned it's living. Both had retractable tracks to allow narrow access (39-40") so prolly in the 2ton range. Skies J. P.S. I found the picts of the Gehl I rented.
What are you doing there?
Hello Hougie, This was the beginning of a bamboo clearing project I started with the rented Gehl and followed up with the TB016 I bought. The neighboring vacant lot has a bamboo forest that had been encroaching on my dad's property for 35 years.When it became my property I contacted the owner/investor about it, he said "take as much bamboo as you want".Gee thanks .So I did . At first I hauled it out then realized I could just 'relocate' the butchered 'boo to the other end of the patch.It was kinda fun. J
Hi Hougie, they used to be branded as Neuson, and painted red and grey. Our local plant hire firm(rental to usa) bought some cause they were a good price( cheap). Our drivers weren't too keen, to the point we had to say don't ever send Neuson machine again or we will cancel our contract with them. the main points were sharp controls, no feeling in the leavers. Spoilt with hitachi and kubota. You get what you pay for in my mind, look what everone else has and get the same, but dealer backup is important. Don't let me put you off, were talking 3 years ago now, they may of got better with gehl, we rate Gehl as one of the best skid steers on the market. Good luck.
Thanx for the input eamon, Maybe the best thing to do it see if i can demo it. it's a 2008 with 290 hours.