Hey guys, So after long consideration i've decided to start making my tilt bucket. Don't have very much done yet but i've made a couple pieces. Going to weld them on tomorrow hopefully. I'm using 1/2" qt100 plate for everything and 1.25" pins. I'll try to keep ya updated on hows it's going. Please chime in with any comments or questions.
Made a bit more progress today after work.
Super cool! Keep up the good work!
thanx!
interesting, keep the pictures comming
cool
This is all i got done today, took me a long time. I had the plates tacked so the pin went through super nice. As i welded them up the back one moved so now the pin doesn't slide in as nice. Have to hit it with a rubber mallet to get it in the last 1/2 inch. I welded the crap out of the plates so i don't think they'll come off. The next part will be making the plates to go up to where the last plate with ears shall be. I'm hopeing to do some more tomorrow or sunday hopefully. Thanx for following Marc
Here is what i got done today, Last difficult part is going to be getting the ears on in the right spot at the right angle.
Ok, I need your help on this one guys. After talking to my coworker today he's filled me with doubt. As you can see in the picture below i cut the bracket to fit around the bushing material instead of wraping the bracket around the bushing material and cutting a hole in it for the bushing to go through. Now here's the crucial question. Do you think it will be strong enough the way it is, or should i scrap it and make a new one that goes all the way around the bushing material like i did on bottom set of brackets. I believe it will be strong enough as it's only a shallow 29" bucket that i'm not going to dig anything hard with. Marc
You got this far might as well try it out. What size of machine are you running it on?
it's just a lil 301.8 caterpillar
That is plent for the machine you are using. If it was for a 320, you might need to rework it some. 301.5, no problem. How is the tilt going to function?
Yair . . . You're going well hougie. It's always problematic welding up assemblys like that as regards the distortion jamming up the pins. All you can do is try and keep the welding even an keep checking as you go. If it gets tight determine which lug is binding and put some extra weld on the side that is required to pull it straight. I generally pull or knock the pin out when I've finished the welding session . . . it some times saves having to beat the crap out of the pin it if it jams in there from the assembly cooling overnight. Cheers.
Once i find a cylinder the appropriate size i'm going to attach from bucket to bottom of upper knuckle assembly, But it's a small cylinder so i'm having a some what difficult time finding one. Scrub puller i learned that the hard way to be careful how much you weld at once to stop the distortion.
oops ..... hair trigger on the enter button
Try and use 2 cyl's for the tilting action ....it'll releave alot of the side torgue that one cyl may create ..... most of the manufacturers out here all use 2 if not a helac rotator...(big $$$$$) .... that will also prevent what you were questioning in your earlier post about the pin boss's strength ...... almost bought a tilting bucket from Daequip (Langley, BC) a couple of years ago (the job disapeared) may still yet ... but their design was the most compact slickest I've seen by keeping the pivot points closer to the bucket so you could still use your thumb like the regular clean-up bucket ..... google them and look at the pics ....... looks great so far !
I don't think i can fit two cylinders unless i put them vertical. I looked at there buckets and wish i had the room to make my bucket look like that. I'm going to weld the plate on tomorrow if you guys think it the bushing setup is strong enough.
Well boys i made quite a bit of progress today, What do you think of this now?
"LOOKING GOOD" ........ you still think there is not enough room for 1 cyl on each side ? ...... looks like there is the same amount of available space both sides .... you won't regret it if you can use 2 ......... Oh ...btw .... did you try to see how the thumb match-up is when it's closing against the bucket ?
It's the same distance on both sides. Not alot of room under the pivot point so i'd have to put the cylinders on angles from pivot instead of straight under it. I have limited space to place a cylinder if i use just one, not sure if i can spare the couple inches of cylinder length it would take up if i put two on. Also having a hard time finding a cylinder "short" enough to fit but still work effectively. It's 14" pin to pin while 50% extended. I never checked the line up with the thumb. Marc
What if you were to build some struts to mount the cylinders up beside your quick change ears to give you the room you need for the 2 cylinders? Just a thought... Looks great otherwise, excellent work!
I would not get hung up on 2 cylinders. Maybe if it was a larger machine, then balanced effort would be more important. With the size machine this is going on, and stated it is for light duty work, raising the cost and complexity by ading another cylinder for balance seems to be a waste. It looks like it will work fine for what it is meant to do.
I think its goinging work perfect for its intended application. Show us some photo's will dirt in, on and all around it.........Maybe a action video ? That would be awesome. Great Work andf thanks for posting it up. Cool little build project !!! :usa Semper Fi
+1 Every tilt bucket I've seen for machines under 10 tons only have one cylinder. I've even seen one cylinder tilt buckets on 22 ton machines and they work flawlessly. There's no point in adding extra weight and unnecessary parts. Are you going to box the plates that you welded to the bucket? It looks like a fun project. Keep the pictures coming.
Thank you for the input guys, joispoi i'm not going to box them but i'm going to weld some gussets on the inside of the plates to strengthen them.
Got the cylinder in there, not 100 percent done but pretty darn close, let me know what ya think!
Looks like it worked. Box the plates for rigidity and to keep material out of the pitch point during a rotate. Adds gussetts where additional support "Wouldn't Hurt".... One cylinder designs is all you will need and see for a size machine in your weight class IMHO. Nice work ! thanks for posting.
Looks good! The only suggestion that I have is to run smaller diameter hoses with 90 degree elbows coming off the cylinder and plumb them right up next to the pivot point. You don't need that much flow for a tilt cylinder and the smaller lines are easier to keep out of the way. Here's a picture: http://www.jbattachments.com/contro...Image/0B09D7CB-E0C3-CE1E-ADE39913E0A7AC1B.jpg
thank for the comments guys, I'm planning on putting some 90's off the cylinder. That hose was expensive so i'll stay with it, don't want to throw it. I've got flow control block coming right off of hydralic couplers.
Hey guys, got all my hydraulic fittings in place. Have a quick question for you guys. Theres what i believe to be a bypass on one of the the attachment lines for the thumb so you don't wreck stuff. This setup doesn't work with my bucket because it lets the pressure bypass so the bucket won't hold position. I took a picture of the valve. Should i adjust it when i use bucket and put it back where it was when i use thumb or just throw a shut off valve in the line so it can't bypass and leave the bypass valve the way it is?
Because we have seen how talented you are with your fabricating skills, I think this is just a small hurdle to overcome............ from what I can see I would get a 2-way hyd ball valve (available cheap f/princess auto ..... if you have one close by).... install it inbetween the relief valve and the feed line .... you would then have the best of both worlds at the flip of the valve ..... unless I'm missing something the system will still be protected at the main valve bank if you were to stop the flow from going thru the relief circuit in the event of a spike ...... Otherwise where the hell are those pics you promised of the finished product ...... here we were all sitting patiently following you thru this pain saking task .....LOL....LOL...you big tease you ...LOL .... cheers till later
Interesting, keep the info coming and the pictures ofcourse!
that's what i had in mind craft. I haven't finished it yet, Still have some gussets to place and a paint job then it will be done. Hopefully this weekend i can finish it.
Have a look for used forklift tilt cylinder. They are pretty stubby and most scraped forklifts have 2. Have a good one. Bob
That tilting bucket project is comming along real good, Nice work!
Nice work!! Thanks for sharing it with us.
did you finish it? could you take a few closeups of how the cylinder is attached and positioned relative to the bucket for me
how are the cylinder controls going to be in the operators cabin? are most of these a wrist joystick twist affair??
did he finish ,dead ,mia, where the finished picts ,abducted by aliens ??????????????? :beatsme:beatsme :sleeping:update:update