Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gehl RS8-42 Parking brake not engaging

jake hollingsworth ยท 2018-01-11 19:59

I've got our gehl in the shop for the parking brake not working from what I'm told. I have power to switch and sounds like power to the flow divider but it won't "grab" when i let go of brakes. any ideas? I've bled the brakes, filed the resivours and look at about everything. im not sure where solenoid is at either.

Replies6
  1. #1icestationzebra2018-01-14 23:02

    Not familiar with this machine but just about every off-road forklift has spring applied hydraulically released brakes. So if they don't grab there are only a couple things that could be wrong. Do the brakes work with the engine off? If so the valve is stuck open or on. If not it is something mechanical - pads worn out, springs broken, pads contaminated with an incompatible oil, splines stripped, etc. Drop the oil and see if there is any debris. ISZ

  2. #2jake hollingsworth2018-01-15 12:25

    the brakes work with the machine off and on, the parking brake is the only thing I'm having an issue with.

  3. #3icestationzebra2018-01-15 13:18

    I meant parking brake, should have been more specific. ISZ

  4. #4Hardline2018-02-01 21:23

    Does the park brake work with the machine turned off?

  5. #5jake hollingsworth2018-02-02 17:18

    no, it doesn't work if it on or off.

  6. #6Grrtt2018-11-05 09:40

    A little late to the show, but if it helps anyone, the parking brake is inside the axle with bellville washers that apply pressure to the pads. When you flip the park brake switch, it sends hyd. fluid to the little pistons that compress those washers, therefore releasing the park brake. What Icestationzebra said is correct on those spicer, or carraro, axles. Pads worn, springs broke, etc.