Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gehl skid steer worn out pins?

strikethematch ยท 2015-12-07 19:18

Just bought a skid steer i was hoping i could get some professional advice into whats going on with my new machine Background: Gehl sl5625 2400 hours 1988 serial 6143 Lets start with i am not expert. The bucker has a lot of play the lower pin of the quick-tach. I thought the bushing were worn out but came to realize its not the pin on the bushing end. its the pin on the other end that moving around where its bolted through. What is the best way to fix this? is there a bushing on that end? is it replaceable? looks like bushing #3 goes into the arm #25 pin #19 goes into arm through into the #9 and has a bolt through it which is where its really loose what is the small metal piece on pin looks like an old seal? was that on the arm side or center piece side?

Replies5
  1. #1Jonas3022015-12-07 19:34

    One thing I would consider before fixing that up is replacing the quick tach with a bobtach-universal style if you plan on running different buckets and forks

  2. #2Jeepwalker2015-12-07 22:57

    Jonas makes a good point: Replacing that piece with new quick-attach ....and new pins and bushings in the arms would kill two birds with one stone. Would cost more money, which I'm sure you don't want to spend just now, but would bring your rig up to modern standards. The other option would be to buy a replacement unit, or buy new bungs, cut the old ones off and weld on new. A bridge reamer (search ebay) could be used to ream out the newly-welded in bungs if they needed to be bored out to be 'true' afterwards and match a particular diameter. By the time you do all that, though, I think it's better time spent (or money in this case) to replace the worn out frame with a universal attachment plate. Would something like this fit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-attach...681101?hash=item1c5c10ad4d:g:OTMAAOSwA4dWNgun It wouldn't take much to adapt your bucket to fit a new universal system. Just look at a few new buckets, you can cut your old mounting system off and weld on a plate or some new metal pieces similar to like a new bucket has. If you decide to go the route of an updated attachment system, and you want to get REALLY fancy, maybe Gehl, or another supplier has a universal plate with a hydraulic latching system (rams that pull the levers down) that will allow you to switch between buckets/forks and other attachments w/o getting out of the cab ....which is a really nice system.

  3. #3Jeepwalker2015-12-07 23:21

    I didn't realize that model went back that far (in years). I just checked, looks like 1988 was the first year?? Does it have T-bar (handle) controls?

  4. #4strikethematch2015-12-08 20:29

    I believe it is an 88 from looking up the serial number. No t handle.. has two (T?) handle on either side. one for drive and twist for turning. the other for raise/ lower and twist it to tilt Thanks for advice. Your correct i don't and can't put that kind of money in it right now but i agree i should switch to the universal. when I'm ready is 875 a good price?

  5. #5Jeepwalker2015-12-08 21:18

    I really don't know if it's a good price or not. I'm guessing if it's on ebay, it's at least competitive. If you're not going to make the move right now to a universal mount, keep an eye out for a used universal hook-up from a newer machine (if it fits) or see if you can find someone in your area or online with a 'parts' machine where it will work. I would think a used one would be $350 - 500. Chances are, a used one is going to have wear unless it has replacable bushings or was a low hrs machine. It might be worth checking with your Gehl dealer to see if there is a bushing kit available for that worn area and if their shop could reem out the holes and insert the bushings, or weld them in. If you're buying parts from them, ask if they'll give you a break on the parts or labor. Good luck..