Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GEHL w/ Cummins QSB4.5: do you replace water separators at some interval?

clutzer · 2020-05-17 08:54

Hey All! I'm in the middle of doing a 1000hr service (that's basically everything) on my GEHL V400. I was getting ready to do the fuel filter and noticed that this machine has a separate water separator--as opposed to a drain right on the fuel filter itself. This is handy because the separator has a clear bowl you can see through, but the last guy that owned the machine wrote 2-20 on the separator's filter element (the thing on the left in the image). This now makes me wonder: should this be periodically replaced? The owner's and service manuals say nothing other than "check" the water separator daily--they don't talk about replacing it--I wonder if it's implied that you change the separator element along with the fuel filter? So, for the wise ones out there: Q1: how do you know when to change out your water separator filter element? It's a $20 filter. Q2: why are there two filters? Is one focused on separating water and the other filtering contaminants? Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies6
  1. #1clutzer2020-05-17 09:19

    I wonder if the process depicted in this YouTube video is what is at play here...

  2. #2Nige2020-05-17 10:26

    2-stage filtration. 1st stage removes water, tree branches, dogs, & small children. 2nd stage removes finer material. Not sure about your particular machine but if I was ever servicing fuel filters on such a system I’d change both of them at the same time.

  3. #3Jonas3022020-05-17 14:13

    With the modern horrible fuel we change all fuel filters at every service and hope that they make another 250 hours

  4. #4Tags2020-05-17 20:45

    Totally agree with Jonas, that filter needs to be changed at the regular service intervals or it's gonna effect the way it runs.

  5. #5clutzer2020-05-17 22:40

    Ok - thanks guys. I'll start replacing the fuel separator and filter elements together next service interval.

  6. #6apetad2020-07-11 18:31

    Book says 500 hours, we do 250, but it's a very expensive filter