Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

General Questions about a Clark 275C

OBLIVION ยท 2017-07-08 15:53

Hi guys, I'm looking at buying a Clark 275C loader. I do some metal fabrication and need a big loader to be able to move some heavy press brakes, shears, and other large machinery. I found a 275C, but it has some issues. It currently doesn't move, and the seller thinks the torque converter is shot. I don't think this is the case since it was working, then all of a sudden wouldn't move. Seller had is mechanic start working on it, but the guy didn't really know what he was doing. He took the converter charge pump and filter assembly off, then quit his job and went to work somewhere else. Nobody knows what the guy all did. The parts he took off are now sitting in the cab. The machine is an '81 vintage going by the serial tag on the engine. It looks to be in overall really good shape for the age. The sheet metal hardly has a dent in it, hardly any rust, pins look tight, etc. So, I know that the declutch valve could be the culprit, as well as the torque converter regulator. Could also be low oil level, clogged suction screen in the trans sump, or a collapsed suction hose. I have a lot of general questions, but in order to not get this opening post too long, I'll start by asking about the trans/converter/hydraulic filters. There's two filters on the left hand side of the machine above the torque converter. Are these the hydraulic filters? On the right hand side above the torque converter how many filters should be there? I'm guessing that's where the trans/torque converter filter/filters should be located? Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies9
  1. #1OBLIVION2017-07-10 04:23

    Bump

  2. #2Mike Van2017-07-10 05:03

    If you want a loader to use, there are thousands of them for sale out there. All sizes, running, moving, etc. If you want one to start spending who knows how much $$$$$ on, buy this one -

  3. #3Delmer2017-07-10 09:38

    I can't tell you about the filters. Shouldn't you be able to trace the plumbing on something that size? I also can't say for sure on a 275, but other models had a "fiberous ring"? between the flywheel and torque converter, it was designed to prevent damage from sudden shock loading by coming apart, or that's the way it functioned at least.

  4. #4mikebramel2017-07-10 09:43

    Cutting the filters apart would be a good idea. That way you won't be a day or two into plus how many thousand for something you dont want. On the upside a 275C is a great loader and worth putting money into. Loader of that generation is a boss and relatively easy to fix anything that may be wrong with it. But that's your call

  5. #5kshansen2017-07-10 14:01

    Would have been nice if someone had done a simple test before pulling parts. The first thing I would have done would be to check to see if any of they hydraulics still worked. If the fiber drive ring fails the hydraulics would not work as the pumps are mounted to the converter housing and drive off this same drive ring. I would take a look at where the pump was removed and try turning the gear that drives it inside the converter housing. Also look in the picture below and see if your machine has the covers like those circled in red. If so take them off and see if there is any ground up looking black stuff inside the housing. Also If there is a way to get a wrench on something inside there try rotating the drum like thing in there, that is the converter. If it turns with out turning the engine then the fiber gear has failed.

  6. #6OBLIVION2017-07-10 14:40

    Thanks guys. The hydraulics supposedly still work, so I don't think the fiber ring has failed. I went and looked at it this past winter. At the time I didn't know much about how everything worked. I've been reading through some old threads here on these Michigans and have a better understanding now, but still have some things I'd like to figure out before I go look at it again. I didn't try starting the thing when I looked at it since it was in the dead of winter. I would imagine the batteries were dead anyway. The reason I like this loader so much is that it's not ancient, but it's old enough that it doesn't have a lot of the electrical stuff that I don't need or want on a loader that's only going to be for occasional use.

  7. #7kshansen2017-07-10 20:00

    I'd still at least pop off those covers and take a good look inside. If that check out good I think I would be thinking about inspecting anything that has been taken off along with pulling filters and suction strainers and if that all checks out reassemble it so some "real troubleshooting" can be done. To do otherwise you would be just spending lots of time taking things apart to just look at them. And even if you went that route and found something bad there is no proof that was the real problem to begin with and not something that happened from just sitting unused. And if you don't have any manuals at least look around on this site to get an idea of what is what. http://www.minnpar.com/manuals3.asp...UALS&SFName=MICHIGAN VME WHEEL LOADER MANUALS

  8. #8OBLIVION2017-07-10 21:29

    Yeah, I'd definitely take those covers off and have a look in there. I knew about the fiber drive ring when I looked at it, but I didn't know about the inspection covers and never thought to look in where the charge pump was. I've taken a look at the Minnpar manual and I've also got some maintenance manuals I've been looking through. I'm still not sure on the filters though. The way I understand it is there is two banks of two filters each on either side of the frame, above the torque converter. Two of those filters are for the trans/torque converter. The other two are for the steering circuit maybe? Not sure. I know there's also the return filter inside the hydraulic tank.

  9. #9OBLIVION2017-07-14 01:43

    After looking through some of the manuals I have, I determined that all four filters in the back of the loader are for the trans/torque converter. So at least that's solved.