Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

General questions about the trade

fishingmike ยท 2015-02-08 13:03

I am currently an electrician with Local Union 26 on the east coast. My wife's entire family is in Idaho and Wahington and just found out she is pregnant so we are moving there in a couple months. My electrical company does all underground work so we use a lot of equipment and I'm looking into making a career change into that field because I really enjoy it. I was also a heavy equipment mechanic/operator in the service a few years ago. With electrical I'm used to working 40 hour weeks with some overtime only when needed. We worked 6-2 or 7-3 with the occasional 5-1. 1.) with heavy equipment can I basically kiss 40 hour weeks goodbye? I see lots of talk about 60+. Since I am about to have a child I don't want to be working constant overtime. 2.) still haven't decided on mechanic or operator. Who generally works longer hours? 3.) with apprenticeships, do you get to choose a specific field, for example if I want to do cranes, will my apprenticeship focus on that? Or do they basically train you up on everything and whatever you get hired to do is what you do? Thanks for your help, I'll post some more questions as they come to mind. I just want to have all of my bases covered before I up and move 3,000 miles

Replies7
  1. #1Shimmy12015-02-08 16:30

    Probably. Most dirt guys are 12-14 hr days 6 days per week, at least around here. And if it gets late in the season, and the job is behind, you might be running 7 days. Most times an operator, but I know some field mechanics that are out alot. Generally, if you're in the shop, you'll be able to keep normal hours. But, busy times that can change as well. Even though we all want to be home for the kiddos, any work related to heavy equipment, whether it be operator or mechanic, is going to affect the home life. Unless you can get one of those cushy county or state employee jobs.

  2. #2RonG2015-02-08 17:18

    If you can get a Union operator position at a quarry etc they tend to run additional shifts rather than pay overtime,at least around here it seems.If you get a job as a transit mix driver you might be looking at a lot of hours depending on seniority.Generally the union employers shy away from any additional overhead and bid their work accordingly.Ron G

  3. #3old-iron-habit2015-02-08 20:33

    Hi fishingmike, I'm not sure if underground electricians get paid a different scale, but after reading this and your other post, I struggle to understand why someone who can make the same money in 40 hours as an electrician would want to go and start over and pull wrenches or operate 45 hours a week to make the same money. With the leg already in the door why not consider being good at being an inside wireman and always work in good conditions with a top pension to boot? Just curious.

  4. #4fishingmike2015-02-09 04:03

    The area I'm moving to, the local requires you to be a resident for 1 year before you can be a member. Otherwise I would love to just transfer

  5. #5old-iron-habit2015-02-09 11:04

    It might be a year to transfer, but can't you work of the B list. OF course the economy has to be good so they need guys. But the economy also needs to be good for the operators to sign up new help.

  6. #6Hokiesmokes2015-02-09 12:40

    The local here lets you choose a crane training track as an apprentice. Most people I know, wherever they end up working is what they do.

  7. #7sfogi2015-02-09 12:45

    Totally agree with you man. Think about your future when you can no longer tire a wire. Get a pension.