Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

General Service time benchmarks

bgkimber@bigpon ยท 2017-10-01 06:44

Hi Ladies and Gents, I am searching for some benchmark service times for general equipment such as excavators, dump trucks etc. I have just completed a 5000hr service on a customers ZX350, but due to some "technical difficulties" with my service rig I spent way more time at the job and the process was longer than I intend to charge out... How much time should I charge the customer and still keep a straight face. I was onsite for 9 hours but should have taken much less time. Cheers Vinnie

Replies3
  1. #1John C.2017-10-01 17:26

    It takes what it takes. Don't short change yourself. Call a dealer and ask them for a quote to do the same job. Just FYI most dealers in this area figure a field truck at $1,000 a day minimum for call out plus mileage, supplies and parts. Anything over eight hours is overtime so would they have had the same issues that you did if they did the same job?

  2. #292U 34062017-10-01 17:44

    I charge what it takes. Sometimes you've got seized parts, broken bolts etc. Most customers don't have an issue paying if you explain the issues you encountered to them. If my truck broke down or something like that I'd probably stop the clock for the customer until I could refocus on their job.

  3. #3DMiller2017-10-01 18:30

    We always charged from shop door to shop door out and in as to hours never had a customer complain. Now had we had to drive across country for more than a few hours or so then we did a day before trip out, per diem on site for day then return next day not charging hours driven. Worksite repairs/service was always straight time. Shop time was different.