Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Generator Set

Rozay ยท 2015-09-16 15:51

Hi all, Does anyone know a site to buy or rent a generator set? I found several sites, but not sure which one I should go for...

Replies7
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-09-16 18:47

    I assume you are looking for a bigger Diesel Generator. Check out Auction Time. They have weekly on line auctions often with multiple generator offering. Many are hospital backup generators that have been replaced and are low hour. If looking to rent Cat Rentals or any of the big rental outfits have them in all sizes and configureations.

  2. #2Rozay2015-09-17 14:46

    We're looking for a couple larger used generators like a G3520... we need . I checked out http://www.auctiontime.com/ , though they didn't really have what we need--or a good selection. On the other hand, I found http://www.impcorporation.com/ ... they have a large selection, and I did find this G3520 - Caterpillar 2011 , but no price was listed. I searched around a few more models on the site and most of them don't list prices. Seems a bit weird. Has anyone purchased from them?

  3. #3Rozay2015-09-17 14:48

    ... woops, the post cut off my specs in reply to your "diesel" comment. We're looking for gas units in 50Hz.

  4. #4Delmer2015-09-17 15:12

    Generators that large aren't common, that's the long and short of it. If you want to find a deal you have to wait until something comes up. If you want to pay retail then call a dealer like that and ask for some quotes. I don't know squat about large generators, but on the smaller ones getting 50hz just means turning the speed down from 1,800 RPM to 1,500, or 1,200 to 1,000, with some derating of the KW output.

  5. #5old-iron-habit2015-09-17 19:16

    Holy Moly, thats a big unit. Are you looking to power a town in some 50hz country? Hospital emergency power takeouts are typically diesel because of the needed onsite storage for fuel.

  6. #6Rozay2015-09-17 19:31

    LOL, not a small town. They're for an on-site power plant though.

  7. #7lantraxco2015-09-17 22:34

    Units that large, especially if the dealer has several that are the same, sometimes removed from the same place, the price will be negotiable depending on the condition, how many units you want to buy at one time, and any modifications, special packing or shipping requirements, switchgear, etc.