Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie boom lift swing problems

lugnutt ยท 2019-01-06 20:03

Hi, I have a Genie 60 ft stick boom, with a diesel engine. I am having problems with the boom swing. It will swing, but it really jumps a lot and jerks. I have replaced the joystick control and have also replace the circuit board. Is there a hydraulic solenoid that could be causing problems? Also, the machine will not walk fast. I saw on the other thread the limit switch on the rear of the boom may fix this issue. I have the manual on this machine I appreciate any help or pointing me in the right direction.

Replies7
  1. #1willie592019-01-06 20:06

    How well does the swing operate when using the lower controls?

  2. #2lugnutt2019-01-08 14:21

    I tried the lower controls and it does the same thing. It seems to swing back and forth when you move it left or right. thanks for your reply.

  3. #3Vetech632019-01-08 14:26

    Are you sure your swing unit and pinion gear are in good shape?

  4. #4willie592019-01-08 16:25

    Or the lower bearing for the pinion shaft in the swing gearbox.

  5. #5lugnutt2019-01-09 19:23

    I checked the pinion and ring gear today on the turntable. They look to be ok. I did not see any wear or bad spots. I looked at the pinion bearing and it seemed to turn correctly. No wobble or excess movement. I can use my hands to push on the boom and it will move back and forth a little but I dont think this is excessive. Any idea how to test the hydraulics going to the swing motor? I appreciate the help and feed back. thanks

  6. #6willie592019-01-09 19:37

    What's the machine model number and serial number?

  7. #7crane operator2019-01-09 21:14

    The main boom has to be down in order to fast travel, if you have the main boom raised up very far, it's designed not to fast travel.