Hey everyone I am working on a Genie S80 boom lift that is giving me fits. I only has three functions working, boom down, boom retract and steering at the platform. The boom functions that work do work at platform and ground control. This machine has a Deutz engine but originally had a Ford engine. The wiring on engine is pretty much cobbled up and looks bad. I have traced my voltage for boom functions to the solenoids and am getting voltage to solenoids. I guess my question is what functions are in play for boom up and extend?
I’ve never worked on one of these so just guessing . Do you have power coming out of both sides of control when moved back and forth?
Well this is going to be fun, but what the hell, we'll give it a go. Still gotta know what the machine s/n is so I can look at the correct diagrams
I think the s/n is 240 machine built in 1996 according to data plate
I'm the same way I've never worked on one of these but did work on some Simmon lifts a 100 years ago
So by your post, from the platform controls, boom up doesn't work, boom extend doesn't work, drive doesn't work, and no toggle functions work, is that about right? Have you downloaded the service manual from the Genie website?
You are correct about what functions work at the platform. and yes I have downloaded a service manual from genie website.
Well, you've got so many things going on at the platform controls there's really no way I can sort them out, you're going to have to print the diagram and climb in that basket and may have to check all the wiring there to see if it's proper or if it's knackered up like in the engine compartment. According to the diagram it's pretty straightforward. E stop sends power to the NO contact in the foot switch. When you depress the foot switch it sends power back to TP24, white wire leaves TP24 and sends power to pretty much everything on the control panel. That circuit seems to be somewhat working as you have boom down and boom and boom retract. But again, that circuit (white wire from TP24) is supposed to power everything, including toggle functions. You need to go through and check that all switches and controllers are getting power, if they are, check the command circuits going from the switches and see where you're loosing your signals. The toggles will be the easiest to sort out first. The proportional controllers are a little more tricky. The boom up/dwn and swing proportional cards should have power on the + terminal with foot switch depressed. As for output, those two cards send out function signals on D1 (boom up) and D2 (boom down) terminals for direction control and in both directions they send out a PWM signal on the A terminal that goes to the proportional flow control valve at the lower main control valve to control function speed. If boom down works, but boom up doesn't, swap the two wires that connect to D1 and D2, see if you now have boom up by pulling the lever into the boom down position. Swing card works the same way as the boom up/dwn card. Telescope card still has power on + terminal and sends PWM signal to proportional flow control from A terminal. Directional output is different than with the boom/swing cards. On the telescope card those microswitches on the side of the controller send a voltage signal on the two wires that connect to TP7 and TP8 to determine boom extend or boom retract. Again, swap the two wires that connect to TP7 and TP8 and see if you now have boom extend by pulling the controller into the retract position. The drive controller is different than all as it uses the horsepower limiter board as well.