Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie GS1930 can’t get steering piston pin out cylinder end

swamprat96 ยท 2026-09-06 00:54

Got a new steering piston coming (cheaper than the seal kit !) One pin came out no problem Piston arm end but the other end won't budge. I'm guessing it comes out the bottom as theres no ay of pulling it out from the top I can see?

Replies19
  1. #1JRK2026-09-06 01:46

    Could you upload some pictures? Do you have a parts manual?

  2. #2swamprat962026-09-06 01:51
  3. #3swamprat962026-09-06 01:51

    I cannot find a manual anywhere shosing this assembly

  4. #4JRK2026-09-06 02:23

    Could you see with a mirror if the pin is fixed on the cylinder and you have to pull the cylinder with the pin together?

  5. #5JRK2026-09-06 02:26

    Lift it up that the wheels are free on this side. on the first picture I see a hole behind the pin. Could you push it down with a pry bar?

  6. #6swamprat962026-09-06 02:35

    There's effectively a u shaped bracket that the cylinder slips into and the pin goes up in that bracket. A retaining pin goes into that larger pun to hold it in place. That's what the small hole is for. I'm going to try an m6 bolt through that hole but it's too low to the ground to get a slide hammer on and there's no access to the top of the pin. I'm hitting it with penetrating liquid every day. The pin is stuck in the cylinder hole not the u bracket as the unit itself rotates fine

  7. #7JRK2026-09-06 02:54

    can you feel the pin on top with the hand? is there space for a small hydraulic cylinder to push it down? other possibility do you have a vice grip wrench to turn the pin to get it loose?

  8. #8swamprat962026-09-06 03:02

    There is zero clearance at the top and as a result zero access. All has to be done from below. I will try the vice grip on it after I leave it soaking for a day or so

  9. #9JRK2026-09-06 03:04

    When you turn the cylinder the pin probably stays fixed, right?

  10. #10swamprat962026-09-06 03:26

    Yeh fixed to the cylinder but turns in the bracket

  11. #11JRK2026-09-06 04:16

    Ok this is not very good , probably it is a swing bearing and the inner ring is rusted on the pin

  12. #12swamprat962026-09-06 04:19

    That's what I'm suspecting. I can try heating the pin then spraying the penetration spray as it cools.

  13. #13JRK2026-09-06 05:22

    Makes only sense when you have the opportunity to pull with force

  14. #14JRK2026-09-06 05:37

    My last option would be to disassemble the wheel hub to make space. weld a bolt to the pin . Grind the surface of the pin before. No paint no rust. Grind also where you place the mass cable of the welder. Check online if it is necessary to disconnect electronics before welding. Then you have to make your own puller. A flat bar approximately 20mm thickness with 3 holes. The middle hole for the bolt with the pin. Right and left m20x1,5 thread ideally or something similar what you have at hand. The 2 outer bolt push against the frame. Thighten the 2 then peen on the bar several times. Retighten, peen tighten.

  15. #15JRK2026-09-06 05:37

    Or could you reseal the cylinder while it stays inside ? Maybe easier

  16. #16JRK2026-09-06 06:15

    Could you apply heat to the middle of pin where inner ring sits? Probably not?

  17. #17swamprat962026-09-10 00:49

    no- no access. I have just discovered I can get access to the top of the pin- was hiding under years of paint - but still no movement even with a piece of rebar and a block hammer

  18. #18JRK2026-09-10 00:59

    let the penetrating oil soak in from above. I had a similar problem with a tiling cylinder 2 month ago. the problem is when you knock on the pin it just bounces on the inner ring of the bearing. I had the opportunity to push with a hydraulic cylinder to get it out. but I don't know it there is a chance in your case

  19. #19JRK2026-09-10 01:02

    do you have a brass rod instead of the rebar? when you damage the pin head you have a big problem