Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Not seeing much info on these 3 piece wheels with what looks like a split wedge ring

chidog ยท 2026-08-27 03:25

Didn't spend a bunch of time on youtube but I didn't see any videos on them at all. They sure look safer than most non solid wheel designs, and easier to deal with removing the tire. Its gonna take some effort to clean them up. So any special information on what not to do with them? Being duals the rings will always face in to each other, to me that is a good thing. I never played with truck tires onto rims in my mechanic days I helped an old guy a few times but, always shyed away from them, too much danger and too much work (swinging the bead breaker, and tire irons) in my opinion.

Replies4
  1. #1chidog2026-08-27 18:07

    Will need a good way to force the tire rims down a bit, to get both the rings back on, it came apart pretty easy, didn't even need to get the old work clothes on to do it. Now the clean up and looks like I'm just flipping the tire 180 degree's, to get the stem facing out.

  2. #2DDoug2026-08-27 18:17

    did you look at OSHA publication 3421-10n 2011 ? Chart shows several styles. I have an older publication around here showing many more styles of split rim, 2 piece, 3 piece, tubeless, etc.

  3. #3chidog2026-08-28 00:23

    This has the rim portion that fits over the wheel, and then the ring that will engage the wheel in a sort of hooked area, and the counter bore of the rim, it looks like a very secure system as long as of course no cracking exists on that end of the wheel. I figure it will be very safe to air them up on the machine, nice 1 inch thick front fenders and all those rings etc will be facing each other. I may use some chain to apply a small psi to check that the ring seats okay. I did find a video of a forklift getting some new tires with this same set up. He just had it laying on the ground and did a bit of air and tapped around to make sure the ring was seated. Not a good idea.

  4. #4John C.2026-09-03 21:28

    When I worked for the coal company we did all our own tires. Saw at least three different designs of split rims. The tire cages weren't a thing in those days and tapping the rings with the duck bill was normal. We had a lot of old stuff and were aware of the dangers to an extent. Checked the rings and wheels pretty careful before mounting the tires on the wheels.