Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie GTH-5519 Fire!

Makers Acres · 2021-06-16 21:03

Hey all, I just wanted to share a crazy project I took on. I bought a 2016 Genie GTH-5519 that had an engine fire. I really wish I had an idea what could have started it, so I could prevent something like this from happening in the future, but I guess it will just be a mystery. The unit appears to have really low hours and most of the damage was contained to the engine area, which is why I thought this might be a good project. I bought this as a Covid project as I was furloughed on my day job and have slowly been working on it for about a year now. I am getting pretty close to wrapping it up and I thought I would post a video blog about this for those who are curious. Here is the first video if you are interested:

Replies28
  1. #1Makers Acres2021-09-05 13:37

    Here is Part 2!

  2. #2Makers Acres2021-09-16 15:36

    Here is Part 4, the Deutz engine and pump tear down.

  3. #3skata2021-09-16 16:29

    More like part 3

  4. #4Makers Acres2021-09-17 02:52

    Damn, I clearly was thinking about part 4 when I posted that. hehe

  5. #5Makers Acres2021-10-04 11:14

    Let’s try this again! Here is the REAL part 4!

  6. #6skata2021-10-04 13:45

    Where are you going to source parts?

  7. #7Makers Acres2021-10-04 16:02

    I looked all over the place, from local dealers to online, and ended up accidentally getting connected with a company called Equipment Parts Plus out of Vegas I think. I am also doing some deep sleuthing trying to find new parts directly from manufactures as Genie’s markup can me ridiculous. For example, the electric control valve on the side of the pump. Genie wanted $5500 for the parts. I was able to connect with a Bosch RexRoth dealer and but the exact same new parts for $385. That is just crazy that they are that far north of retail pricing for the parts. The only hard part is that this machine was built in Italy, so a lot of locally sourced products in Italy and Germany are in this machine. But I have had some pretty good successes so far finding stuff. Do you have suggestions?

  8. #8skata2021-10-04 21:16

    Crazy. Sorry I don't have any suggestions. What are you going to do about the wiring harness? I'd imagine that would cost some big bucks.

  9. #9Makers Acres2021-10-06 11:37

    So the engine harness I lucked out and it came with the new engine. The other wiring harness I painfully rebuilt. It took me about a month or so.

  10. #10Makers Acres2021-10-06 23:45

    I will feature that in an upcoming video!

  11. #11Makers Acres2021-10-23 18:34

    Here is Part 5! Starting to make some forward progress!

  12. #12skata2021-10-23 21:33

    Have you sourced all the parts yet?

  13. #13Makers Acres2021-10-24 01:15

    I have! I’ll cover that in part 6!

  14. #14Desertwheeler2022-05-09 22:46

    Do you have any good sources for hydraulic parts for these? Like the safety or locking valve parts? I stumbled across your YouTube when I was researching the old Terex version and thought it was pretty cool project to take on!

  15. #15Makers Acres2022-05-11 02:14

    Thank you! I am a bit behind in the videos, but spoiler alert, I have finished it! Genie is ridiculous on pricing for most of these parts, so I tried to source everything from the original manufacture. It was a lot more work to track some things down, but in one example, Genie literally quoted me $5,500 for a part I found from the manufacture for $175. My next video on this I will address how I ordered parts. For some of the parts I had to order with Genie branding, I used a company in Vegas called Equipment Parts Plus (702.866.9300), talk to Estevan. I found them when I stumbled across a new engine that Ahern was trying to sell. I asked him to quote my other parts and so far everything he quoted me was less then I could find online. Hope this helps!

  16. #16skata2022-05-11 14:38

    Looking forward to your next video.

  17. #17Desertwheeler2022-05-11 16:20

    look forward to the update video! I called Estevon and he’s working a quote up for me. Thanks for the info!

  18. #18Makers Acres2022-05-29 15:31

    Here is the much promised parts sourcing video!

  19. #19Makers Acres2022-09-02 20:10

    Here is Part 7 - Cleaning the Cab and the Electrical Components....

  20. #20Makers Acres2022-10-07 13:01

    Here is Part 8 of the Genie Project. It covers the Tire Swap and Hub repainting.

  21. #21Soleilme2022-10-10 04:11

    The Genie® GTH™-5519 compact telehandler is the perfect choice for tasks both large and small. Easy to maneuver and transport, and convenient to service, it meets the needs of most construction, masonry, landscape and agricultural applications.

  22. #2203hdrk2022-10-11 10:51

    I worked on a Genie GTH636. The axles and transmission were Dana - I used a guy at Inland Truck Parts in Ft Worth named Charlie to get parts for the axle when no one else could find them. Then a few weeks ago needed parts for a Gehl and used HydroMechanical in Westville NJ. I think that some Genies are the same as Gehls. HydroMechanical got me axle parts on that machine and really know their business in the Dana Spicer Clark Hurth product lines.

  23. #23Makers Acres2023-01-16 17:10

    Thank you for the great info!

  24. #24Makers Acres2023-01-16 17:11

    So far it is a fun little unit. I did wish that it had a locking differential as I have gotten it stuck a couple times.

  25. #25Makers Acres2023-01-16 17:13

    Here is Part 10 of the Genie Project. It covers the swapping the hydraulic hoses.

  26. #26Makers Acres2024-01-13 17:47

    Here is Part 11 of the Genie project. This video covers my first time powder coating some of the fire damaged parts!

  27. #27Makers Acres2024-06-21 15:52

    Here is Part 12 of the Genie Rebuild project! This video covers installing the engine and the radiator!

  28. #28hevnbnd2026-02-18 18:55

    Hey i sent you a message! Let me know if you got it. Thanks