Hi Guys I have a problem where the various Genie machines which I run keep blowing/popping their o-rings on the various manifolds. I run mobile cranes as well and in the last 15yrs I maybe had to replace to 2 or 3 blown o-rings on the cranes . But on the Genie's it is an constant thing, at least once a month on 9 different machines.I would like to know if anybody else has this problem as well and what did you do to fix it? Is there maybe an special type on o-ring which I could use? I have thought off 'glueing' the valves and plugs so they can't move, but in such a way that they can be still loosen if need be. I would appreciate some insight on this problem from anybody.
If you're referring to the various valve cartridges, fittings, and plugs fitted into various hydraulic manifolds on the machine, are you using o-ring boss o-rings? If you're using standard industrial size 70 durometer o-rings you'll blow them faster than you can install them. Industrial size o-rings are numbered like 568-100, 568-200, etc. They won't work on SAE o-ring boss fittings. You have to use 900 series o-rings, i.e., 568-901, 568-902, 568-903, etc. http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=175_256&products_id=9309
Ah, been there on the hardware stone o rings! They most certainly will blow. Not bad in a pinch to finish the day out but not a permanent fix. Are you possibly running a hydraulic oil outside of the manufacturers specs? Not likely im sure but trying to think of everything.
Hi Hillie59 thank you for the reply I had a look and I am using Nitrile 70 Shore o-rings. I will try to get these 900-series o-rings from my suppliers today, i just hope that I can get them around here(South Africa). Otherwise I will need to import some. Regards
Hi Barklee Yes I am use the correct hyhd. oil, but thank you for thinking at a possible alternative to my problem. Regards
We find the valve cartridges do come loose and blow out the O-rings on the big hydraulic blocks, specially on the older Z60/30's. We are using only ORB (o-ring boss) o-rings. The newer Z60's & Z45's don't seem to have a problem for some reason. If there's a cure out there, I'd like to hear it too. We've had a few pretty good oil spills over it. The later models that never come loose (2009 or 2010 & up?) have like a bead of thick nail polish down the threads of the cartridges and onto the block. If that's what's making the difference, what is this stuff? Some kind of epoxy??? Older Genies don't have this stuff on them.
That stuff that you are talking about i believe is called sentry seal or torque seal and is available in the US. A few months ago i was looking at the products to find something to stop the movement in the valve cartridges. could find this stuff in South Africa so had to make another plan. Used epoxy glue for now , only time will tell if this will really work.
your problem was my problem in Z45-25 IC we replace in several times the o'ring but no get a solution. Recently we change control cable from platform to main box control and the problema was fixed. I think the old wire cable was the problema. machine year 1996