Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie TMZ 34/19 Error Code 0011

Bertfish ยท 2015-06-26 10:36

Long time lurker, first time poster. Recently purchased a Genie TMZ 34/19 towable manlift. I have an extensive amount of tree work to do as well as new gutters on two houses. Unit is a 2001, S/N T3401-354, and has about 250 hours on it. Unit is entirely battery operated. From the time of purchase I have put about 20 hours on it. Loaned it to a friend last week and he encountered an issue with it which I cannot figure out. He leveled the lift, got in the basket, and range the first stage of the boom up. Upon attempting to rotate the basket the unit had some sort of error which allowed him only to bring the boom back to the ground. Upon examination he discovered that the unit displayed error codes 0003 and 0011. He pulled up the outriggers and shut it down (figuring it would reset) and tried again only to find that, after leveling it again, all boom functions were disabled. The 0003 code appears to have disappeared while the 0011 persists. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what this error code indicates for this given serial number unit? I've called my local Sunbelt guy (he wasn't any help) and information on the internet appears to be patchy at best.

Replies34
  1. #1Bertfish2015-06-26 10:45

    I should add that it appears as though all upward boom functions have been disabled. Outriggers work, the boom will rotate (as far as it can inside of the cradle), and if you try to make the boom lower you can hear the valving open (although the boom obviously has nowhere to go since it is all the way down).

  2. #2BillG2015-06-26 10:56

    Go here and download the manual, it gives all of the necessary info. http://manuals.gogenielift.com/Parts And Service Manuals/ServTowedAerial.htm

  3. #3Bertfish2015-06-26 11:03

    Thank you BillG. I did download that manual. What is really throwing me for a loop is that, per the manual, the LED error code display was added after S/N T3402-115 and the error codes are only good after that S/N. My unit has the LED display but the S/N is before the S/N when they added that display. I suppose someone could have replaced the ground control station at some point and retrofitted it to have the LED display however if that is the case would the error codes still be accurate?

  4. #4BillG2015-06-26 11:10

    Did you download the supplement? Sorry, that won't do any good as it's only parts updates and new schematics.

  5. #5BillG2015-06-26 11:15

    probably the best thing will be to call Genie's service line, 877-367-5606 and see if they have an updated trouble code list.

  6. #6Bertfish2015-06-26 11:16

    Yes. I see information and schematics for models before T3400-001 and after T3499-769; unless I'm misreading my unit does not fall in to either of those ranges. Additionally the platform controls shown on those schematics look nothing like the one on my unit. Is there something in the supplement that I should be looking for?

  7. #7Bertfish2015-06-26 11:18

    Tried contacting Genie, they wouldn't give me the time of day since I was not an authorized service center. Or something like that.

  8. #8Bertfish2015-06-29 08:02

    *Bump*

  9. #9electric man2015-10-13 20:35

    My lift is having the same problem, Genie not helpful at all, have taken lift to certified Genie repair center, has been back twice for same thing. I don't think they even know how to fix it

  10. #10Bertfish2015-10-14 07:55

    Yep, sometimes it does seem like they are just guessing. I guess I should bring this thread up to speed. In an attempt to save some money instead of purchasing the $1700 blue board upgrade kit from Genie I sent the platform control circuit board to PLC Center/Radwell International in New Jersey. They specialize in repair of circuit boards which may be difficult or expensive to procure. They diagnosed several issues with it and repaired the board for about $150. Received the board, reinstalled it, unit worked for about two hours before having the identical issue. Sent the board back on warranty, Radwell found the same issues and repaired it again, and sent it back to me. This time the unit didn't even work once. Finally broke down and figured that the main control boards had an issue and were wrecking the platform board. Sent them to Radwell and $700 later they were fixed. Got them back, installed them, instant failure. Radwell's policy is to not tell you what repairs are necessary until after they have done the work in an attempt to protect their business. Makes sense but when I get the paper and it says "repaired multiple burns" I instantly knew I would have trashed the board and started anew. I got my refund but at the expense of wasted time, postage, and effort. Broke down on Monday and ordered the new blue board kit. It will be in today. Hopefully this puts this mess to bed.

  11. #11Bertfish2015-10-15 19:06

    Put the new boards in today, now have error code 0100. Doesn't even appear in the manual for any of the lift models or years. Fantastic!

  12. #12Bertfish2015-10-20 14:20

    Genie says 0100 doesn't exist; wondering if I somehow put the fault code display in upside down and it is actually code 0010. Consulted with a local guy who indicated that the higher fault codes usually have something to do with a coil not working when the lift does a system check during startup, or something like that. Going to check for loose connections tonight and hope for the best.

  13. #13Bertfish2015-10-23 11:36

    Ok, we have made progress. Had a ribbon cable plugged in backwards which made the board freak out and display error codes which should not have existed. Watch carefully when you install those as there is a very small indexing extrusion on the cable end and a matching slot on the board. Fixed that and the code 0011 came back despite having new boards. Christ, did I blow up these brand new boards? I had emailed the Genie technical literature line hoping for an answer on my mystery code. The Genie/Terex support guy that got back to me confirmed the code was errant. I told him that the code 0011 persisted even though I had new boards. He advised me to open the platform control box up and unplug the ribbon cable which connected the button pad to the circuit board. After doing that I powered on the unit and the code 0011 had cleared; this indicates a bad button pad. I ordered a new push button pad ($149) online and it should be in on Monday. Stupid me, should've started with the cheap stuff. If this all goes well I'll post up the Genie tech's contact info; he seemed willing to help despite me not being a business (though I did not explicitly mention that). The platform control box I have is beat up pretty bad so I decided not to reuse it with my soon-arriving new key pad. The box is simply a Hoffman Q-25188PCE enclosure which is readily available online. Genie wants about $600 for the pad and box; if you buy the box, drill the required holes, move components over, and mount the pad yourself you can do it all for about $250. I'll give it a shot and post up the result, shouldn't be too hard though.

  14. #14Bertfish2015-11-01 07:30

    Alright, the lift works again. The testing procedure for the platform control pad worked. If you get a code 0011 I suggest you start with that test before spending $1700 unnecessarily on boards. See the post above this one for the procedure. I was successful in rebuilding the box by myself. Only agitating part is the studs underneath of the touchpad which the circuit board attaches to. Genie must have them made in to the box when it is manufactured as they are an extremely tight fit and do not have a head on them (they must sit flat under the pad). I ended up switching to non-locking nuts to get the circuit board tightened down. If you need new circuit boards you need to know the new dipswitch positions. Dipswitch positions for the TMZ 34/19 with the blue board upgrade are: Switch 1 - ON always Switch 2 - ON if you have an hour meter, OFF otherwise Switch 3 - OFF always Switch 4 - OFF if you have hydraulic outriggers, ON for manual outriggers (Genie gave this to me backwards and had me panicking) All other switches are unused and therefore OFF Anyone gets jammed up PM me and I can give you the contact information for the Genie technical service guy I spoke to.

  15. #15TNTSEC2016-03-11 21:41

    bertfish, you dont have any of the old green boards left that you might let go of do you? thanks tntsec

  16. #16Bertfish2016-03-12 16:36

    I saved them, yes. I believe they are still good (since it ended up being a bad touchpad) but I have no way to guarantee that. I will PM you

  17. #17andycarey2016-08-23 09:52

    Touch Pad Where did you find the touch pad for $149? I am unable to find it for less than $550. I'm having the same issue. Error code 0015 (ground fault error), but if i unplug the touch pad the error goes away. Any help would be appreciated.

  18. #18Bertfish2016-08-23 11:04

    http://www.gciron.com/Genie_Parts_GN_76097_DECAL_PLAT_TOUCH_PAD_TMZ34_p/gn-76097.htm Somehow the price jumped from $149 in October 2015 to $380 now. Still less than $550.

  19. #19andycarey2016-08-23 13:59

    Touch Pad Does your machine have automatic or manual outriggers. I've found the touchpads for $380, but they don't have the outrigger controls.

  20. #20Bertfish2016-08-23 14:05

    Automatic outriggers. The touchpad which I got for $149 (the one at the link I've shown you) is for the platform control panel in the basket. It will never have outrigger controls as they are always raised and lowers from the ground station. The touchpad which goes in the base of the unit is the only one which will have outrigger controls. I've never seen one of the units to see if it still came with the controls if it was equipped with manual outriggers so I can't speak to that.

  21. #21djjdave12016-08-23 14:27

    are you still seeking options? for now, forget about the basket controls and see if you can use the ground controls to get the booms and basket back into the cradle. there is a wedge block on the upper boom that when it comes into its home position, there is a box with a swing top that is actuated with the wedge block to tell the machine that it is in its stowed position. let me know if this helps, I have been factory trained in Genie buckets and scissor lifts

  22. #22djjdave12016-08-23 14:30

    try TVH parts. they have most of the Genie parts and alot cheaper Dave

  23. #23Bertfish2016-08-23 14:33

    My unit is long fixed - not sure about andycarey's lift. The box with the swing top is a Telemechanique limit switch, at least on my 34/19. Worst case if it is within reach you can always actuate the switch by hand to make the machine think it is landed. Or jump it out and bypass the limit all together.

  24. #24andycarey2016-08-23 16:03

    Touch Pad I have it in the stowed position. I had to bleed the hydraulics on the out riggers to get them up and tow the machine home. I am getting a 0015 error, which says ground control pad fault. When I disconnect the lower controls touch pad the error goes away. I'm thinking I need to replace the lower touch pad?

  25. #25Bertfish2016-08-23 16:24

    I got the same error on mine at one point, too. Unplugged the lower pad and it worked just like you have done. I replaced the pad and it was repaired. So yes, I would say you are correct. I didn't bleed the hydraulics to get the legs up, though. Just remove the bolt, keepers, and pins that pin the cylinder to the lower portion of the leg near the foot. Then you can pick them all up and run a ratchet binder around all four so you can safely get it home. That's what I ended up doing and it worked out well.

  26. #26andycarey2016-08-23 16:42

    Touch Pad So the problem now is they're telling me there's a 7 week lead time on the touch pad. I ordered it, and he acted like it may come sooner or if I found one I could get quicker I could cancel the order. Once you replaced the touch pad have you had any other issues?

  27. #27Bertfish2016-08-24 06:48

    No sir, it has performed flawlessly since then. I've been told by electrician friends of mine that these foil touch pads are notorious for having issues. If you look at the next generation of Genie towable lifts they switched to toggle switch controls like JLG uses. More robust IMO.

  28. #28TJ Neenan2016-08-28 14:27

    Genie 34/19 This is too ironic. I have a 2001 Genie TMZ 34 with 211 hours. Finally able to get the outriggers up and unit back in my garage. Batteries fully charged and only the charge level lights stay lit with the key on. Serial #T3401-334 Having read back on these posts, I am assuming that the "basket" pad is defective? Oh, nothing moves regardless of attempts to use the upper or lower pad. The code reads 0015. Initially (earlier) tried to rotate base and would only move C Clockwise despite pushing either button.

  29. #29Bertfish2016-08-29 06:51

    0015 is a code for the ground keypad fault. Easy way to check is to open up the box it is mounted to and pull the ribbon cable which comes from the keypad out of the board it plugs in to. If the error clears then replace the pad. If it doesn't clear then the manual says your circuit boards have probably gone bad which is a costly repair ($1700 or so).

  30. #30TJ Neenan2016-08-29 08:33

    There are 2 ribbon cables (short and long) disconnected both and I get a 0010 error code (with a loud whistle).

  31. #31Bertfish2016-08-29 09:11

    Are the cables you are unplugging made up of a bunch of individual white wires with an orange end? There are two that look like that in the box and they are not the ones you'd want to unplug. The one you'd want is a super thin ribbon cable which will actually come out of the back of the metal faceplate that the pad is mounted to. It'll have a blue end with a blue/green ribbon attached to it.

  32. #32TJ Neenan2016-08-29 17:17

    No, the cables (2) are flat grey with a blue connector to both the pad and lower board. Both boards are blue, does this indicate maybe they have been updated?

  33. #33TJ Neenan2016-08-30 17:47

    All indications point to replacing the lower platform touch pad. Searching online prices vary from $3-500+ Does this sound right,or do you know of a website I can order from? The backside of the ground control aluminum cover plate has a "blue" board attached. The pad and board look fairly new ( for a machine made in 2001) Should I check the platform pad to see if it is "green" or "blue"?

  34. #34TJ Neenan2016-09-06 18:44

    Good News. I received the platform and ground control touch pads today.( I replaced the platform one also as it was peeling and loose,the platform board is green) It was a defective platform pad. It appeared to me that this has been replaced once already,as the "glue" had not been cleaned before the "new" pad was installed. Removing the "glue" from the metal box was by far the hardest part of the whole process. Again,thank you for your help in getting me back up in the air.