Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie TMZ 34-19 Problems

chuckcastiglion · 2013-08-25 13:49

I began having control problems with my Genie TMZ3419 lift. The bucket controls began acting up last year. Then this year the ground controls started to not work. Right now neither control works. The leveling lights are "ON" and working properly. The horn works. The batteries are charged and connections cleaned. I jumped the pump motor and it works fine. Early last year I replaced the motor controller and it worked fine. The ground control has a TMZ50 board in it which was there when I purchased the machine. I have battery voltage at the motor controller and the ground is OK. The key switch has power and the switches are functioning properly. The only button on either control that works is the horn. Can someone explain how to test the motor controller? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Chuck

Replies32
  1. #1Dave L2013-09-22 18:37

    I also have a TMZ 34-19 that is acting exactly like you described. I was told there is a fella on this forum that has been very helpful with his experience and tips on how to repair the genie tmz lifts.I am at a loss at what to do next with mine.any help or tips would be appreciated. Dave

  2. #2chuckcastiglion2013-09-22 21:11

    Dave I replaced the motor controller again. My batteries were at least 8 years old and would not hold a charge so I replaced all the batteries. Everything is working ok so far. It's looking like the low battery voltage might have been the problem. I spent about a week talking with the GENIE service department. At first I thought that the contol boards may have been bad. They told me that my GREEN boards had to be changed to BLUE boards at a cost of about $2000. I decided to replace the batteries for about $500 and the problem is gone for now. I have a feeling that the problem may come back. Let me know what you find out... Chuck

  3. #3willie592013-09-22 22:06

    Welcome to HEF chuckcastinglion and Dave L. :drinkup It's typical with pretty much any battery operated aerial lift that if the battery voltage gets low, either by faulty batteries or not being charged, the motor controller will shut down operation of electric motors. This is because nothing kills motors quicker, whether AC or DC, than low voltage. The motor controller not only controls the electric motor, but it protects it. I hope that turns out to be your problem.

  4. #4chuckcastiglion2013-09-22 23:21

    Willie I still have the old controller that I thought was bad. Is there a way of testing it on the bench? It may be good and my problem was just the batteries?

  5. #5willie592013-09-22 23:25

    Now that I don't know chuckcastinglion, sorry.

  6. #6Dave L2013-09-23 02:38

    Chuck,Willie, Thank you for getting back to me about my lift. I have checked the batteries and they are good.My lift also has the green boards .

  7. #7Dave L2013-09-23 02:57

    Chuck,Willie, Thank you for getting back to me. I have checked the batteries and they are good.My lift also has the green boards .

  8. #8VoodooMojo2013-09-27 22:03

    The easiest way to check the motor controller is to install it on the machine and see if it works. There is a bit of troubleshooting info in the manual at this link: http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/1204_05.pdf

  9. #9chuckcastiglion2013-09-28 08:28

    Good Morning I pulled the old controller apart last night. There are a couple of power transistors that are burnt up. The thing is potted with a hard rubber. I 'm going to try and repair it. We'll see what happens..... Chuck

  10. #10mauigoods2014-11-19 15:57

    Voodoo, I saw in a earlier post that you had some diagnostic software for the TMZ 34/19 series lift. Was wondering if that was still available or not. Have been rebuilding an older unit and wanted to not only check the blue boards but system inputs and outputs for irregularities. Thank you for any info I can get. Mauigoods

  11. #11chuckcastiglion2014-11-19 18:02

    Hi I tried to contact VOODOOMOJO last summer with no luck. If you have the new blue boards and do not have the digital output board then it would probably be a good investment. I also tried to get the software from the Genie office in Washington state. They agreed to send it to me but never did. I ended up buying the blue board kit, the basket touchpad and the new motor contactor kit. It's worked perfectly ever since. Bought all parts from https://www.gciron.com/orders.asp , a dealer in Florida. Let me know if I can help. Chuck in PA

  12. #12VoodooMojo2014-11-19 18:54

    yes, he is a hard dude to get ahold of..... make a couple random posts so you can pm me some info

  13. #13mauigoods2014-11-19 20:08

    Ya I have the blue boards all around including a newer basket controller. Also have the LED module and the motor controller upgrade as well as a new pump motor and level sensor, new manual outrigger limit switches, new boom contact switches and new wiring harness for contact switches. After new boards were installed was getting the read out on the LED showing dip switch configuration and all seemed good. Once done with that powered down and restarted unit only to get all "0000" on LED and all 4 outrigger lights flashing even though unit is level and level sensor bubble in the middle. Did calibrate level sensor before. At a loss for the moment where to look next.

  14. #14mauigoods2014-11-19 20:11

    Thanks Voodoo and Chuck for your fast responses. Was wondering if hooking up laptop with proper software could tell me anything. TY again,

  15. #15mauigoods2014-11-20 14:30

    Voodoo Did try to PM you with all details on my lift situation, but said your inbox was full and wouldn't send. No doubt you get a lot.

  16. #16mauigoods2014-11-20 14:33

    Voodoo, did try to PM you with the details on my lift situation but said your inbox was full and would not send. No doubt you get a lot.

  17. #17TNTSEC2016-03-11 22:03

    if anyone has any of the old green boards that may be good i would possibly be interested in getting the two control boards. i think my connector board is good. also if anyone has the tmz monitor software i would like to have a copy of that also. thanks tntsec [email protected]

  18. #18jhillock2017-10-22 21:33

    looks like your the man with the genie answers I bought the$4000 dollar ignition fix for the genie with the ford engine still cant make it run changes harness and module any ideas

  19. #19John Kimura2021-12-08 15:48

    Hi everyone, I am the maintenance person for an church organization. We have received a equipment donation its a Genie2001 Genie TZ 34/19. I was told by the donor that he has had intermittent problem with the lift such as noting works sometimes, and sometime it works. So after receiving this lift I tried to work it but cant get the outriggers to drop down, nothing happens. Could someone give me pointers as to what to look for. Previous owner had informed me the battery's are 6 months old, all of the controls including the control box. has been changed with new wiring and control box.

  20. #20TVA2021-12-08 15:53

    Is the only problem you have is outriggers?

  21. #21Engineer442021-12-09 08:50

    Carefully check all the limit switches on the booms. The outriggers will not deploy unless the machine is satisfied everything is in the “stowed” position. Also of course check the battery wiring and make sure everything is clean and tight.

  22. #22John Kimura2021-12-10 01:13

    Thank you for your reply. I have check all what you have stated, now I got all (4) outriggers to touch the ground but not lift the unit. My battery charge is at 80%, is this causing the problem not enough power to do the lift?

  23. #23Engineer442021-12-10 06:46

    When the outriggers touch the ground do you hear the motor and pump continue to run or do they stop? If the pump continues to run then it’s likely a hydraulic issue. Not enough flow and pressure to lift the machine. Check the hydraulic fluid level. Probably a good idea to change the hydraulic filter if you don’t know the machine’s history. It’s a spin-on filter, easy to change. If the pump stops when the outriggers touch the ground it’s probably an electrical issue. Most of these have auto leveling and the ground control box commands each outrigger to raise and level the machine. The auto leveling may be faulty or need calibration. In general, how does the wiring inside the ground control cover look? Any corrosion, evidence of prior wiring repairs?

  24. #24John Kimura2021-12-10 14:35
  25. #25John Kimura2021-12-10 14:41

    Again really appreciate your response. Yes the pump still runs when the outrigger touches the ground, and agreeing with you, seems like the pump does have enough pressure to lift the machine. I will do what you have suggested, check the hydraulic system and change the filter. the entire control box and its wiring was replace so it looks like new. Is there a way to by pass the auto lever just for testing? Thanks again for your help John

  26. #26Engineer442021-12-10 16:22

    Depending on the model of your control system (there were three different versions) in addition to the auto level button there would be a separate push button for each outrigger so that you can operate each one independently. I’d have to look at the schematic but I think that gets you around the auto leveling function. It would be helpful at this point to measure the system pressure when the pump is running. There’s no factory installed gauge, you’d have to adapt one. I think there are available ports on the pump to connect one. I have an idea but I don’t dare quote the pump pressure without first looking it up. Not sure if you are aware but you can download the service manual from Genie at no cost.

  27. #27John Kimura2021-12-10 19:33

    Yes the new controls have a auto function and individual function. The individual function only lets the outrigger touch the ground all (4) when pressing the auto function it wont go up any more. Thanks for the advice will get a pressure gauges for the pump and will check the pressure. Yes have downloaded the service and owner manual but didn't see a specific trouble repair for my problem. Thank you very much will try all your suggestions, really appreciate your efforts. John

  28. #28John Kimura2021-12-17 18:05

    Got the lift to operate found a defective limit switch on one of the outrigger. Encountered another problem which is the boom will drop down before lifting up. Sound like I have air in the hydraulic system, is that a good conclusion. If so how do I blead the air out... John

  29. #29Engineer442021-12-17 18:47

    So do the outriggers lift and level the machine now? Regarding bleeding, usually running the cylinders full stroke all the way in out several times will purge the air. There are bleeders on each cylinder but usually not needed. Each cylinder has a check valve for safety, when a cylinder is extended any amount it shouldn’t drift down on its own. Only when commanded down.

  30. #30John Kimura2021-12-17 21:45

    Yes the outrigger now works, it will touch the ground and lift the entire unit up, where the tire are about 6" above the ground. Found a defective limit switch on one of the outrigger. By passed the limit switch so now the lift is working. Thank you for the reply on bleeding the system. Yes we didn't have time to fully extend the unit, planning to run the machine tomorrow. Thanks again for your advice, really appreciate your efforts.

  31. #31John Kimura2021-12-19 15:51

    Thank you for your advice on the repair of the lift. Yes we had run the lift through its full reach numerous time and the drifting of the boom isn't happening, the system did bleed itself. Again thank you for your advices.

  32. #32Engineer442021-12-20 08:12

    You’re very welcome. Glad you got it resolved and have a working machine now. Happy holidays!