Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie Z-45/22 DC s/n Z-45-004553 (1996 year) boom lift, primary boom lift/drift problem…

jeff45303 ยท 2024-09-30 17:23

Hello, I encountered a problem today with the above Genie boom. Using either the boom mounted or lower controls, the boom went from working fine for the first few minutes to Not and getting worse. Primary boom went up fairly normal this morning, but started to drift down slowly right away. Currently, boom is real slow going up and goes back down as soon as you let off the switch. The other functions seem to be working fine. I could not find any help in the Genie Z-45/22 service manual that I downloaded. I'm guessing it might be a sticking valve, or proportional valve problem. Any help, test procedures, etc. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Replies8
  1. #1jeff453032024-10-02 13:20

    I've decided it was probably the piston seals and have take the cylinder to be rebuilt. Hopefully that is all it needs.

  2. #2Calvin Gatch2024-10-28 19:30

    Jeff, I'm having the same problem with the primary boom on my Z-45/22 that you described. Did rebuilding the cylinder fix your problem? Thanks, Calvin

  3. #3Johnny Burnette2025-02-02 10:45

    Jeff, What did you find? I am thinking piston seals on mine as well, but I just started having the same problem.

  4. #4TVA2025-02-02 11:15

    If boom going slow combined with thinking down right after command to stop - it so seals Of boom has good power and speed going up, but drifting - there also can be counterbalance valve problem

  5. #5jeff453032025-02-02 21:35

    Hello All, I haven't seen the replies to this thread until now. They probably got lost in all the spam emails, sorry! YES, the piston seal/s were broken and destroyed. New seals and wipers fixed that problem. On this model I would probably plan on re-sealing the leveling master cylinder that is behind the end of this boom cylinder, while you have it out. It is a larger diameter, short cylinder in the hinge area that pushes oil to the basket leveling slave cylinder to keep the basket level. If the seals are bad in one cylinder they are getting bad in the other (mine was). Mine is 30+ years old! You have to remove the boom cylinder anyway to get to the leveling master cylinder, so it will save more trouble later. The repair shop near me charged $138. to rebuild the boom cylinder alone. I did the remove and replace, wasn't too bad, one end pin was more difficult than the other.

  6. #6jeff453032025-02-02 21:39

    Sorry Calvin, I didn't see your post. I posted a reply, in case you still have the problem. Check the thread for the other reply details.

  7. #7Johnny Burnette2025-02-03 00:25

    Thanks for the reply, this helps everyone!

  8. #8Johnny Burnette2025-02-03 00:28

    My machine was state owned and sat for 7+/- years...now all my seals are one-by-one failing (obviously) first the basket level, then the basket rotate, and within 2 weeks the primary boom pooped the bed...