Got a 1998 Genie Z-45/22 serial Z-45-007520.Gasoline/LPG but the LPG seems to be eliminated. Ford LRG-423 engine. Distributorless ignition system. Issue #1 is a crank but no start. A shot of ether did not help, so we checked for spark. Cylinders 1 & 4 getting no spark to very weak spark. 2 & 3 getting good spark. Replaced the ignition coil + plugs and same results. Have 8v on the 2 outer wires going into the coil. Eventually the machine backfired a bunch of times and then started, and would start every time after that. Came back the next day and had the same crank no start issue. Issue #2: Once running, engine would die every 30-45 seconds because it pops the right side breaker on the GCON panel. Pretty sure it isn't the oil/water sensor because we can force those to fail and machine dies after maybe 5 seconds when those are the cause. Tachometer light on diag board is on, so I don't believe that's the issue either. So really 2 issues, but would like to tackle the no start issue first. Unless they're related, of course. Would appreciate any info on both issues though. I was thinking crank position sensor for issue #1 but can't find it on the schematic (unless that's what they call a pulse generator). Thanks in advance!
That's why I hate spark engines, so damn many things can make them flip out, especially computer controlled engines. I'm no spark engine guru, but sounds like you may have a couple of issues going on. First is popping that breaker, that's not normal. If it's CB2, that feeds power to the ignition/start module in the base control box as well as feed power to the Ford engine module. And typically, when you trip a breaker, that means something is pulling excessive amps, from either component failure or wire short to ground. Need to get your schematics and an amp probe and see if you can isolate the source of the amp draw. Second, odd that it backfired numerous times then decided to run. Not saying it's your problem, but we have a Z45/25 with LRG425, had a habit of running perfect then suddenly would run like crap, black smoke, backfire, mind of it's own. Finally one day, it started running like crap, started yanking on wiring harness wherever I could, wiggle test. I wiggled the harness connector to the MAP sensor and it straightened out. Replaced that connector and it's run perfect since. Again, not saying that's your problem, but it can be that simple. Parts are getting hard to find for those engines. Lately if I need Ford industrial parts I've been ordering from Pitt Auto Electric Company. I hope you find the problem, that stuff can be frustrating.
Thanks a bunch for the reply. My thoughts are similar to yours. I believe the MAP sensor is built into the ECM on the LRG423 as I couldn't find one but there is what looks to be some sort of vacuum line going into the ECM. I will give that another look though. I've heard that the ECM is no longer made either. The crappy part about testing for the electrical issue popping the breaker is that we couldn't get her running again. But once we do, I'll follow your advice and see what we can find. I appreciate the referral to Pitt and will keep you posted!