Hello Looking for help with an old 1989 Genie Onan gas 2 wheel drive Genie 45/22 . This runs great all boom steering lift functions work correctly I bought this 7 years ago fixed everything from no start to leaking cylinders, electrical issues. But the last and most frustrating is the inability to go up a very slight incline. All hydraulics work great with lifting the bucket turning slow speed and faster slow speed while on a firm flat surface like asphalt, dirt even compacted presents an issue. but the very least little bit of an incline is very painful for it to over come. I did check pressure at manifold its at 3000 psi and brakes are coming off completely. I jacked the unit up wheels off the ground and verified brakes off and both drive motors are turning. I then cleaned the hydro tank out, cleaned screens and filters replaced no help. I cant see a way to check if the issue is volume or pressure of hydraulic fluid to the motors or the drive motors or the pump. This is old generator and pump all in one unit gas driven onan the unit has 150hrs on it. It sat for 20+ years. I pulled drive solenoid and valve no broken orings.
Is a boom sensor bad, and machine thinks boom is raised? You can download manual from genies website
I would check engine RPM first, make sure it is up to spec. I've never seen one with an Onan engine, but it sounds like it would be underpowered. The Ford gas models I believe were 1600 low RPM and 2600 high RPM. Does the engine lose RPM when you start up an incline?
Nope it changes speed when raised and lowered it's faster. There just no tourge it struggling to go from street to drive way and my driveway is flat the little bump from asphalt to cement it struggling to go over the transition
I raised it since it's carbs yes to do no help. No wheel spin just a lack of torque
On the newer genies you can adjust the drive speed and torque thru the on board computer. Not sure how it's done on older machines. Perhaps a pot switch?
first thing to check is make sure both torque hubs are functioning. You know those little plates on the outside of the hubs right in the center, held on by two 1/4" (7/16 head) bolts? Make sure both nibs are pointed out, and a plate on one of the brakes/motors isn't pointed inward. Another cause could be a failed drive motor by-passing all its oil. Have you run it with the wheels off the ground to see if they both turn? Can you hold one back? What we normally do is remove the case drain hose from a drive motor and see how much oil is bypassing. Again, wheels off the ground so you don't need to walk beside it and run over your feet. A good motor may/will have some flow from the case drain hose, but a bad motor will have pressure there and lots of flow. On the end of the machine where the drive wheels are, under the cover between the wheels is a metering block. Pull the spools one at a time and check for broken/damaged/blown out O-rings. No springs or settings or anything in there you can lose or mess up. Pull each spool, check the O-rings, put them back.
Just curious.....how many cylinders on that Onan engine? 2 or 4? I've never seen a Genie with an Onan before. Just trying to educate myself. Looking back, I see you already did most of the things I suggested. Sorry.
This unit is very old 1st gen genie z.The engine is V 2 cylinders I think its only 16 or 24 hp runs great . I will pull all solenoids and check orings on the drive manifold maybe one of them is no good.
Thanks for the info I will try this as soon as weather clears. I have to look for this metering block.
I'm curious because I have access to a Z45/22 with a broken ford gas engine. And I have access to nice little Yanmar diesel from a light tower with a blown up generator unit. I was worried it wouldn't have enough power to move the Z45 around. I believe it's about 40hp. If your Onan will do the job, I'm sure this Yanmar will.
Yes I believe it would is it 4wheel drive?
yes, this Z45/22 is 4wd.