Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Genie Z60/34 boom will not retact via platform switch

SouthernGemini ยท 2019-04-19 15:44

Hello all, I have an older model machine and not sure of the year so see picture below. A few weeks ago my boom retraction switch on the platform began to malfunction. All other platform switches work. You can hear the machine 'engage' when the platform switch is applied so thinking this may be something simple if I know where to look? Thankfully the boom can be retracted from the machine control board but that is not convenient. See video showing the exact issue.

Replies5
  1. #1gatorsby72019-04-19 19:52

    my 1995 Z45 service manual troubleshooting section has a flow chart of what to test for when boom down function is inoperative from the platform. do you need it?

  2. #2skata2019-04-21 02:20

    genies can be wierd like that. sometimes you can get a stuck function to work by doing another function at the same time.

  3. #3SouthernGemini2019-04-22 13:26

    gatorsby7: that would be a start. Although I have worked on equipment and vehicles for years I know the wiring diagrams are a bit more complicated than what I am used to but I am willing to give it a shot. Also, I did a video of the inside of my machine control panel and posted it on your thread. If you need some closer pictures or a video showing something in particular let me know.

  4. #4SouthernGemini2019-04-22 13:28

    skata: You know I didn't think of that but what is the harm? If it doesn't 'jack up' anything by hitting multiple controls at once (and it shouldn't) then I may have success.

  5. #5gatorsby72019-04-23 07:09

    instead of giving you the Z45 manual, you can get a manual for your Z60 at https://www.genielift.com/en/support/manuals . Since you probably don't have the serial number, you can probably use these: the SERVICE Manual is at: http://manuals.gogenielift.com/Parts And Service Manuals/data/Service/Z Booms/30105.pdf the SCHEMATICS are at http://manuals.gogenielift.com/schematics/Z_Boom/Z60-34_Ford.pdf .